Join our zoo community
gentle lemur

Mindanao tarsier

Frankfurt, 31st August 1973

Mindanao tarsier
    • gentle lemur
      Scanned from push-processed Ektachrome transparency. Frankfurt, 31st August 1973.
    • colobus
      Interesting!
    • Bib Fortuna
      Wow-phanatstic shot in their old "Nocturnal experimental exhibit" in the Monkey House. But if I see this shot, it seems, they were kept in a day-exhibit...in 1978 they moved to the Grzimekhouse, but they were kept there behind the scenes until 1985.In 1983, they raised a young, but the last Tarsier there died in 1992.
    • gentle lemur
      It was a long time ago, but I think it was a dimly lit exhibit - you can tell by the size of tarsier's pupils.
      Push-processing film increases the contrast of the image, so the background appears to be lighter than I would have seen it. There was also a colour cast that I tried to correct on the scan. I didn't expect that the final image would be as good as this (and it is not very good) but I had to try to get some sort of picture. Today I wish that I had also tried to get a shot of the solenodon which was a little further along the corridor.

Alan
    • Bib Fortuna
      For of a picture of that age, the quality is awesome.Can you remember if the Solenodon was also in dimly lit exhibit ? And thanks for the information he was also in the monkey house., I was guessing he was, but I had no evidence for that.
    • gentle lemur
      The quality is not that amazing, but it was well worth the effort. Looking at my guidebook from that day, I don't think they were in the Monkey House as I made a list of the monkeys there. I think they were in the 24 Hour House next to the Carnivore House, but I can't be sure after all this time.

Alan
    • TeaLovingDave
      A very nice shot indeed; crossposting this image and that of the Howler to the lost-taxa thread :)
    • Bib Fortuna
    • gentle lemur
      BF, I owe you an apology. I have just found my original slide (after a long search) and the label says Monkey House :eek:
      Never try to second guess someone with local knowledge :)
      I have vivid memories of that day at Frankfurt nearly 42 years ago, but they are mostly of the spectacular animals that I had never seen before (from aardwolf to zebra duiker) including the tarsier, solenodon and emperor tamarins in the Monkey House - such a pity that only the last has become well established in European zoos. Obviously my photos have helped me to remember them. I remember the Ape House and the Round House well and a little of the Carnivore House and the Bird House, but I am afraid the rest are blank.

Alan
    • snowleopard
      @gentle lemur: yet another wonderful photo! Memory is a funny, fuzzy thing at times but what is shocking to me is that you are older than I thought you were. Wow....unless you were only 8 years old when this photo was taken. :)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Frankfurt
    Uploaded By:
    gentle lemur
    Date:
    16 May 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    65.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    450px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).