Join our zoo community
pipaluk

Mole 21/5/20

Seen on a lunchtime lockdown walk in a country park on a sunny afternoon at the edge of the path

Mole 21/5/20
pipaluk, 21 May 2020
CMP, birdsandbats, Brum and 13 others like this.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Nice find!

~Thylo
    • pipaluk
      Thanks! It was the first one I've seen in nearly 40 years and there is a bit of a story surrounding it to which I will post later
    • ThylacineAlive
      @pipaluk Never seen a mole unfortunately.

~Thylo
      pipaluk likes this.
    • pipaluk
      The story behind this will be in 2 parts, because it is a long one!
      My girlfriend and myself have been taking regular walks in a country park, usually in the evening occasionally at lunchtime. Last week I noticed a lot of mole hills and told her I hadn't seen a mole in nearly 40 years. The last time I saw one was when cycling along a country road and saw one crawling at the side of the road, it had fallen off the verge and could not find a way back onto the verge. Fearing it would be run over I watched over this mole until it found safe passage onto a verge again and into the undergrowth! As a youngster I wasn't sure whether I should pick it up!
      Today's story will follow...
      Brum likes this.
    • pipaluk
      So, today's story.
      We were walking along a path and my girlfriend saw what she thought was a dog poo from a few yards away (there has been more of it around than normal during lock down!). As she went to step around it the 'poo' moved and she screamed, thinking it was a mouse! I looked down expecting to see nothing as the 'mouse' would be long gone! But instead this beauty was crawling off the path into the grass. Fearful one of the many dogs being walked would get hold of it we watched it for a few minutes until it disappeared! Sadly just 5 minutes or so later we found another mole dead in the middle of the path, I suspect a dog victim, but, 2 moles in 5 minutes after 40 years!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    United Kingdom - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    pipaluk
    Date:
    21 May 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    4.8 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5504px
    Height:
    3096px
    Aperture:
    f/2.0
    Make:
    Sony
    Model:
    G8441
    Date / Time:
    2020:05:21 14:24:20
    Exposure Time:
    10/1000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 50
    Focal Length:
    4.4 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).