Join our zoo community
Zebraduiker

Monkey cages

Monkey cages
Zebraduiker, 22 Dec 2008
    • zooman
      It would be interesting to read more about these enclosures?
      Size?
      Animals?
      Constuction date?
      Renovation Date?
    • Dan
      Not to mention "projected date for demolition"...
    • Jana
      Size - I don´t know, but the metal railing around the cages is appr. 1m high and those low hedge-rows appr. 50cm high, that could serve you as a scale. The picture shows just 1/2 of the entire monkey house.

Animals - just pairs or small groups of: Brazza´s monkey, blue monkey, Diana monkey, silvered leaf-monkey, hanuman langur, bonnet monkey, Javan langur, norther white-cheeked gibbon, mt. Kilimanjaro guereza, plus some lemurs. They are currently phasing out part of the species.

Construction date - 1989

Renovation date - the zoo would like to start ASAP, but unfortunatelly they were strugling financially. With the beginning of global financial crisis I´m affraid, it will take many years for them to get the necessary fonds.

@Dan If you think you can sort all their problems by your left hand - just go there and show them! My comment is serious - their director resignated few days ago and the city council is searching for a new one. But the zoo has quite low attendance numbers, it´s a region with traditionally high unemployment rate and low wages (thus they can´t afford to increase the entrance fees), the zoo is struggling long term and had to start releasing part of it´s staff, also the animal collection is beeing down-sized (monkeys, small cats etc.). If you feel you can help them, then please do it.
    • cockroach
      Very good comment Jana.

I read about the directrors leaving. Do you know why is he leaving?

I was very suprised when I opened the websites of this zoo and found out what is new after my last visit of zoo (which was 5 years ago) ... many new exposition, enclosures. I thing this zoo is on good way. And at least I plan to visit them ... propably the only way I can support them.
    • Dan
      Sorry guys, but it amazes me to hear that these sad and poorly furnished cages were built in 1989?!
    • snowleopard
      I am not even joking when I say that the cages look as if they were constructed in 1889.;) Brutal.
    • Jana
      Cockroach
      I don´t know reasons why he´s left his post.
      But I agree with you - this zoo appeared to by on the right way in the last years. Despite tight budget they destroyed/renovated the most ugliest exhibits (elephant house, big cat house...), phased some species where they knew they can´t hold them properly and had many plans how to improve the rest. I´m afraid how it will continue now, when the initiation and leading power of these changes is no longer there. I hope the council´ll vote for the right candidate.
    • ZYBen
      what a great amount of climbing space for the primates to utilise, great primate enclosures but not exhibits
    • Jacobea
      I don't think demolition is entirely necessary. After all, what's wrong with using these as aviarys? They're not great, I admit, but they still beat those awful little parrow cages people keep their pets in.
    • zooman
      Interesting point ZYB. Alomg the lines of what l was thinking.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZOO Ústí nad Labem
    Uploaded By:
    Zebraduiker
    Date:
    22 Dec 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count: