Monkey-proof bag, Apenheul

29th August 2009

Monkey-proof bag, Apenheul
Orycteropus, 23 Mar 2010
    • Orycteropus
      29th August 2009
    • Orycteropus
      Monkey-proof bags in Apenheul

Self-service: choose a bag after leaving the entrance ...
    • Maguari
      Ah - I remember these well! Necessary, as well, given the number of squirrel monkeys that descended around us.
    • Chlidonias
      is their logo the Nazca Lines monkey?! That is pretty cool.
    • Maguari
      Ha! Never realised that before! It is indeed (or at least very closely based on it).
    • Pygathrix
      Better put your specs in here too unless you want a thieving woolly monkey taking them up to the top of a tree...
    • lintworm
      @Pygathrix, the woolly monkeys won't do that anymore, the aren't aloud to leave their island anymore now.
    • Pygathrix
      @lintworm, I know. I have only been twice, the first time there was a lot more interaction with the animals, for example people were allowed/encouraged to let the squirrel monkeys run over their shoulders, heads, and arms, and the woolly monkey area was walkthrough. The second time I went I asked a keeper about this, she said there had been a few bites etc and they had stopped all that for fear of legal repercussions. That's a shame because the squirrel monkey experience was really quite special. You were never allowed to feed them and they could easily go to a different part of the large enclosure, so I think for the monkeys it was positive enrichment too.
    • lintworm
      The policy has become less rigid then 4 years ago now :) and the monkeys are aloud again to interact with the visitors, but the visitors aren't aloud to do anything and there are now lots of volunteers in the free-ranging area watching everything. And especially the squirrel monkeys are very interested in people sometimes.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Apenheul Primate Park
    Uploaded By:
    Orycteropus
    Date:
    23 Mar 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: