Join our zoo community
Mr Wrinkly

Moose

Moose
Mr Wrinkly, 30 Mar 2014
    • arcticwolf
      Thanks for posting some great Canadian domain pictures. The domain is one of my favourite parts of the zoo because the animals are interesting and it's always calm and quiet.
    • elefante
      It doesn't look like much of a barrier.
    • arcticwolf
      It's an electric fence and there's also another fence in between the moose and the people.
    • Mr Wrinkly
      When I am there by myself, sitting on one of several benches in the Canadian Domain, just watching, is one of the great things to do at the zoo.
    • elefante
      It looks like a nice exhibit. I guess I don't get too excited over moose in a zoo.
    • adams7
      That's not an electric fence.
    • arcticwolf
      Are you sure? It looks exactly like the electric fences in other parts of the zoo. Also if it isn't, couldn't the moose can easily break through both barriers.
    • adams7
      I'm positive. Take a look at these two pictures-
      Moose Exhibit Fence: http://www.zoochat.com/532/toronto-zoo-moose-exhibit-39743/

Grizzly Bear Fence: http://www.zoochat.com/532/grizzly-bear-334486/

The electric fence in the Grizzly Bear exhibit is much thinner and it has the black clips to attach it to the post (and not electrify the metal post), whereas the moose fence is just a thick metal cable that runs directly through the metal post.

I'm sure its possible that the moose could damage the barrier, as well as the second fence if it wanted to. This fence is only used at the front of the exhibit. The rest of the exhibit uses a single metal rail as the first barrier, which is tall enough that baby moose can go underneath it.
    • arcticwolf
      Thank you for clearing that up for me adams7. I guess I should pay more attention to the zoo's fencing.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Mr Wrinkly
    Date:
    30 Mar 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: