Join our zoo community
Ituri

Mountain Woodlands - Puma Exhibit

Mountain Woodlands - Puma Exhibit
Ituri, 17 Jan 2013
    • PAT
      Is this exhibit open-topped? I can't think of too many other such exhibits for pumas. Knowing ASDM it could be covered in that invisible netting though.
    • snowleopard
      Yes, it is open-topped and there are similar exhibits at Northwest Trek Wildlife Park, BC Wildlife Park, Greater Vancouver Zoo, White Oak Conservation Centre and perhaps a couple of other zoos in North America. That being said, having 6-7 open-topped mountain lion enclosures is still not very many if one were to look at the big picture.
    • DavidBrown
      The Living Desert's mountain lion exhibit is also open-topped. Here is snowleopard's picture of it: http://www.zoochat.com/915/cougar-exhibit-242566/
    • Jihoon Lee
      Looks like Mexican wolves or Coyote could live this kind of exhibition, if there will be more improvements added for them. What a nice enclosure!
    • Ituri
      There are mentions of a new puma and jaguar exhibit to be built in the future. If this happens I would speculate that this space would be given over to the black bear which occupies a much smaller grotto next door.
      BenFoxster likes this.
    • DavidBrown
      There are Mexican wolves and coyotes at this zoo also in nearby exhibits.
      BenFoxster likes this.
    • TropicWorld54
      Wildlife Prairie State Park in Peoria, Illinois (9 miles west of Peoria Zoo) has an open-topped mountain Lion exhibit. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44EiJ0QMVqE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44EiJ0QMVqE[/ame]
    • carlos77
      Xcaret has a great open topped puma exhibit, which is by far the best exhibit for this species in Mexico.
    • Arizona Docent
      I have lived in Tucson for 20 years and they have been saying they will add a jaguar exhibit that entire time. Nothing ever happens. Considering the recent flurry of jaguar sightings in southern Arizona, the most recent in the Santa Rita mountains which border Tucson's east side, they really do need to do it. A few years ago (3 maybe?) they even devoted their entire annual magazine to jaguars and stated they plan to exhibit them again. But I have long since given up hope that it will happen in my lifetime.

According to a docent I know out there, one possibility that was discussed is to put jaguar in this puma exhibit and build a new puma exhibit. That would be ok I am sure, but I do not see how that is any better than just building a new jaguar exhibit and leaving the pumas here.
      BenFoxster likes this.
    • TeamTapir223
      Nashville has an open topped Puma exhibit!We felt this puma exhibit was the best exhibit at the ASDM so keeping them here and building a new jaguar exhibit would be a great.

Team Tapir223
      BenFoxster likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
    Uploaded By:
    Ituri
    Date:
    17 Jan 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: