Join our zoo community
cockroach

Muntjak identification

Can anyone help to identify this beautiful muntjak? No sign around and only this one individual in a small separated enclosure.

Muntjak identification
cockroach, 15 Aug 2013
    • cockroach
      Can anyone help to identify this beautiful muntjak? No sign around and only this one individual in a small separated enclosure.
    • Kifaru Bwana
      Black muntjac M. crinifrons by any chance?
    • cockroach
      Thanks Kifaru Bwana, checked the identification guide and surely M. crinifrons. No chance for M. gongshanensis :D
    • ungulate nerd
      That is for sure a Black muntjac (Muntiacus crinifrons), correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think that there are any Gongshan muntjac (Muntiacus gongshanensis) in captivity, the only Muntiacus ssp. that I know of being in captivity are Black muntjac (Muntiacus crinifrons), Feas muntjac (Muntiacus feae), Truong son muntjac (Muntiacus truongsonensis), Indian muntjac (Muntiacus muntjak), Reeves muntjac (Muntiacus reevesi), and even Bornean yellow muntjacs (Muntiacus atherodes) from what I saw in a photo on google images
    • IanRRobinson
      Does anyone have any idea about what rarer muntjac are viable in captivity? My eyes always glaze over when I read about muntjac on display in the UK, as they are invariably Reeves', a species that is approaching Grey Squirrel status as an introduced pest.

But the very success of Reeves' muntjac does make me suspect that there are other, rarer, species for which European and North American zoos might be able to do good conservation work. Any comments?
    • Chlidonias
      interesting, i didn't know there were any Bornean yellows in captivity. Wildlife Fauna Janda Baik seems like a place I may have to visit soon!!

Where are the Truong Son muntjacs?
    • ungulate nerd
      Here is a link with photos of the Truong son muntjacs in captivity

Muntiacus truongsonensis

and for anyone interested in the Bornean yellow muntjacs in captivity, here is a link to the place Chlidonias just mentioned

http://www.wildlife-fauna.com/mammals.html
    • Chlidonias
      thanks, I might go to Laos then as well :)
    • ungulate nerd
      Hey Chlidonias, not a problem :)
      If you post photos, I will very much be looking forward to seeing them :)
    • baboon
      There is a giant muntjac kept in the backyard of one general in Lao; and a male Gongshan muntjac is kept in Kunming Institute of Zoology, China.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Beijing Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cockroach
    Date:
    15 Aug 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    304 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1060px
    Aperture:
    f/6.3
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7000
    Date / Time:
    2013:08:13 17:23:55
    Exposure Time:
    10/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    50 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).