Join our zoo community
snowleopard

National Zoo - Red Panda Exhibit

July 2008. Looking down on the exhibit from one of the vantage points, and it still looks amazing!

National Zoo - Red Panda Exhibit
snowleopard, 23 Aug 2008
    • snowleopard
      July 2008. Looking down on the exhibit from one of the vantage points, and it still looks amazing!
    • snowleopard
      The water/fog misters are hard at work in this photo, and the different vantage points into the red panda enclosure ensure that zoo visitors get an opportunity to see the little red critters wherever they are. Having said that, there are numerous tiny holes for the red pandas to duck into if they choose to seek out some privacy from Washington's millions of tourists.
    • mstickmanp
      I liked this exhibit a lot, and I also liked that visitors could see the pandas from the botton or the top.
    • Otter Lord
      This is definitely the best Red Panda exhibit I've ever seen, especially when its lush with plants. There are plenty of climbing areas for the Red Pandas and yet no needed mesh to keep them in. The misters and the realistic limestone add nice touches to the exhibit as well.

This is a great pic of the viewing areas: Red panda exhibit area on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (not my pic)

Really wish I went to the National zoo after these sets of exhibits were finished instead of before....
    • snowleopard
      The entire Asia Trail area of the zoo is brilliant, and easily the best part of the whole zoo. I'm sure that Elephant Trails will also be excellent, especially as it is a 4 year process to create the habitats (2007-2011). Surely with $45 million and 4 years worth of construction the zoo can come up with something fantastic for elephants.
    • Otter Lord
      I'm surprised the National Zoo doesn't have much discussion on it....I've heard its one of the best zoos in the United States from other zoo-going people.
    • snowleopard
      The National Zoo was in decline for years, and there were a lot of deaths in the animal collection. It is only recently that money has been poured into the place, and the brilliant "Asia Trail" area will hopefully see the rebirth of the zoo. The seal/sea lion pool is getting upgraded, the lion/tiger grottoes are being redeveloped, and of course the mega-expensive elephant paddocks should be impressive. The red panda exhibit in this photo cost a huge amount of money, but those are certainly some pampered pandas!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Smithsonian National Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    23 Aug 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    488.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2008:07:22 09:14:53
    Exposure Time:
    10/300 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 160
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).