Join our zoo community
AWP

Naturalis - the last Quagga

Taxidermed Quagga in the temporary exhibition "Van onschatbare waarde", that was kept in Artis untill 1883 as the last survivor of its kind. Naturalis has a large collection of recently extinct animals, but the specimen are kept in the collection tower instead of the museum.

Naturalis - the last Quagga
AWP, 2 Oct 2020
    • Onychorhynchus coronatus
      Really atmospheric photo ! Well done!
      AWP likes this.
    • JurassicMax
      Hopefully this taxidermed Quagga will return to Artis when the renovation of the Groote Museum has been completed.
    • AWP
      @JurassicMax Permanent public display would be favorable to me, whether in Leiden or in Amsterdam. Naturalis has a huge collection of taxidermed extinct animals. It could create an gallery like the one in Paris, but I guess it won't happen and that the quagga returns to the storage tower after the exhibition.
      JurassicMax likes this.
    • JurassicMax
      I would prefer that too, however didn't the entire collection of the Zoological Museum of Amsterdam go to Naturalis. I think it would be a nice gesture if a few items were ''given back'' to Amsterdam/Artis to be on display there.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Naturalis Natural History Museum
    Uploaded By:
    AWP
    Date:
    2 Oct 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2.5 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4608px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/3.8
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX S7000
    Date / Time:
    2020:10:02 11:02:49
    Exposure Time:
    10/150 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    6.2 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).