Join our zoo community
BeardsleyZooFan

New England Farmyard- Domestic Turkey

New England Farmyard- Domestic Turkey
BeardsleyZooFan, 25 Nov 2012
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      November 24, 2012: Saw this bird in the chicken coops. I know it\'s a bad photo, but it moved nonstop.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Looks like a turkey to me.
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      Does anyone think this is a female Wild Turkey, or a domestic breed? Wow, I really am bad with birds...
    • ThylacineAlive
      There really isn't much of a difference genetically speaking as Domestic Turkey breeds are of the same subspecies as the Wild Turkeys that live in the area they originated in. I'd say domestic since it's in the New England Farmyard. Maybe a Narragansett since I know they've had/have that species. I believe I saw this animal in the barn during my visit.
    • FBBird
      New England Farmyard

From the carunculation on the head, I think this is a hen Ocellated Turkey; horribly inappropriate for a 'farmyard' theme.
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      I thought about Ocellated, but wasn't quite sure because it seemed almost a bit too drab. Maybe the farmyard is just a temporary holding for her and she might move to the South American Rainforest building? Although they might just have acquired her to replace the Narragansett Turkey that died, as well as our Blue-Eared Pheasant.
    • vogelcommando
      Pretty sure it's a Ocellated Turkey, either female or quite young one.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Now that I look at it, I don't think this is the individual I saw in the barn. The one I saw was a large male.:confused:

~Thylo:cool:
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      FBBird and vogelcommando- Thanks to you two and some research, I think we can come to the conclusion that this is an Ocellated Turkey.
      Thylacine- I don't believe that there are any turkeys, or birds of any kind (except for the Barn Owls) in the barn. In the summer, there was a group of Helmeted Guineafowl chicks though.
    • ThylacineAlive
      First off, this bird in the picture is definetly an Ocellated Turkey. The thing is when I went in November there was a male turkey in the barn in an exhibit right next to the Barn Owl. He may not be there now, but he definetly was there at some point.

~Thylo:cool:
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    BeardsleyZooFan
    Date:
    25 Nov 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count: