Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

New gibbon exhibit

December 28, 2016

New gibbon exhibit
Arizona Docent, 28 Dec 2016
Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
    • Nikola Chavkosk
      -At what distance can travel/explore (or can reach furthest) these gibbons, going through this tunnel, AD?
      -Such walk should be very stimulating for an animal; nice to see more and more zoos implementing tunnel-walks (at bigger distances) for their animals.
    • Arizona Docent
      @Nikola Chavkosk - Several zoos (in USA at least) are in fact implementing this tunnel system. It seems to be a new trend (done so far with big cats and primates as far as I know). The distance is not really long, but it goes from the main exhibit, over the visitor path, to a metal tower where keepers can do enrichment.
    • FunkyGibbon
      Of course, for gibbons it's somewhat a waste as it doesn't allow brachiation. Nonetheless I really like this trend and hope to see a lot more of it.
    • pachyderm pro
      What did you think of this new exhibit? Seems a bit small but enriching for the gibbon family.
    • Arizona Docent
      @pachyderm pro The primary reason I think for the makeover is a vastly improved and desperately needed night house. As for the exhibit space itself, it seems to be about the same space as the old one, maybe a bit taller, but no bigger overall. (I could be off, but if it is bigger it is not by much). Also there appears to be no foliage while the old one at least had grass. So other than the night house, I think it's about an even trade but not much of an improvement.

As for the overhead tunnel trend (not just here but overall), I for one am not a fan because I like to photograph animals in a natural setting and that is impossible with this new system.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Reid Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    28 Dec 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    215.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    700px
    Height:
    467px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
    Date / Time:
    2016:12:28 11:13:46
    Exposure Time:
    1/2000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 320
    Focal Length:
    185 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).