Join our zoo community
mazfc

New giraffe enclosure and house

New giraffe enclosure and house
mazfc, 4 Apr 2015
    • Pertinax
      A lot of photos on Zoochat inevitably distort the size of things. No critisism of the photographer intended, but this is a good example. The outdoor enclosure is really not that much larger than what they had previously- I would describe it as adequate rather than anything else. The indoor house looks good though.
    • lowland anoa
      Although the former one was better, but still very good.
    • haydn
      The enclosure is considerably longer and wider than the original. Plus it's of better quality with much better, softer surfaces.
    • Shorts
      I know it's really a question of semantics but I tend to agree with Pertinax here. To me, to be "considerably" bigger it'd have to be at least half as big again whereas I doubt it's even a third as big again. That said the indoors looks much improved (not seen in person yet, only the paddock).

Also, aren't harder surfaces better for hoofstock in some ways?
    • mazfc
      I'll go with 'much bigger' then.

It's hard to see on the pic as I took it with my phone, but there's a lot of single/gravel mixed into the majority of the paddock. I don't think it's totally finished though.
    • pipaluk
      Having visited today, I am sure the total area is more than twice that of the old one. It has to be double the length for a start surely?
    • Pertinax
      I don't think so. I compared the old one again after seeing this. This one is not that much longer. I reckon Shorts' 'third larger' is an accurate assessment. I thought they could just about get into a canter for a few yards along the length available.
    • Macaw16
      It looks bigger than Yorkshire Wildlife Parks, does anyone know how they compare for size?
    • haydn
      I guess this image that I came across when flicking through some aerial photographs from a local aviation group settles the discussion.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd...._=1437547656_771012249b45481ceb27a47fdf06d671

(Sorry you do need Facebook)

It was taken during development. It shows the house is considerably larger than the old one, 3 or 4 times the size in fact but the enclosure is only 30-40% bigger. A significant improvement on what was there before, none the less.
    • pipaluk
      I can't remember exactly where the old giraffe enclosure ended, but I'm sure it's been extended by about a third, so with the house, I would guess the giraffes do have not far off twice as much space in total as they did before.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Twycross Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    mazfc
    Date:
    4 Apr 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    351.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    1600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).