snowleopard

North American River Otter Exhibit

Aug. 15th, 2015.

North American River Otter Exhibit
snowleopard, 16 Aug 2015
    • snowleopard
      Aug. 15th, 2015.
    • DavidBrown
      Of all the zillions of otter exhibits that you have encountered at zoos and aquariums, does this one still stand up as one of the best?
    • snowleopard
      I actually began going through my list of the 325 different zoos and aquariums that I've visited to figure out exactly how many otter exhibits I have seen but the task seemed too daunting and I quickly gave it up! I often think that I've written so much about each zoo I've visited, and taken tens of thousands of photos of signs, that I've just about memorized each and every facility but in truth that is impossible to do and my mind is sometimes hazy about some of the obscure backyard zoos that I've toured.

Anyway, Woodland Park's otter exhibit is still very impressive and the enclosure is larger than what many think as there are plenty of hiding opportunities for the animals. My best experiences have been those rare occasions when the otters are ripping through the water while a Rocky Mountain Goat or Arctic Fox is ambling along through the meadow in the separate exhibit in the background. The immersive effect is seamless.

Strictly off of the top of my head, several other great otter exhibits in American zoos include: Miami and its winding Giant River Otter exhibit in Amazon & Beyond; NEW (Northeastern Wisconsin) Zoo and its expansive River Otter exhibit; Oregon Coast Aquarium has a superb Sea Otter habitat; Maryland Zoo and many others do a great job with the commonly showcased North American River Otter. Kids love the tunnel slides through some of the exhibits, such as Cameron Park in Waco, Texas.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Woodland Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    16 Aug 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count: