Join our zoo community
Toddy

Nürnberg Zoo - Elephant paddock

The outdoor paddock for elephants in Nürnberg Zoo, Germany. During my visit in 2007, both asian and african elephants were sharing this enclosure. A bit small but not too shaby. At least it's nice and green. July 2007

Nürnberg Zoo - Elephant paddock
Toddy, 26 Nov 2008
kermodei likes this.
    • Toddy
      The outdoor paddock for elephants in Nürnberg Zoo, Germany. During my visit in 2007, both asian and african elephants were sharing this enclosure. A bit small but not too shaby. At least it\'s nice and green.
      July 2007
    • snowleopard
      A very tiny exhibit for elephants, but there is an interesting use of elevation here. Do many European zoos still keep African and Asian elephants together?
    • Toddy
      I have seen 77zoos and aquaria in Europe, but has only seen African and Asian elephants mixed twice. It is generally not that common. When zoos do this it is mostly because they have old non-breeding elephants.
    • Animal
      After the asiatic elephant died, the african moved to Rostock. Nürnberg don't keep anymore elephants.
    • snowleopard
      What do they now have in this enclosure?
    • Animal
      Nothing. Think in a few years they'll build a house, then they'll get new elephants.
    • Zebraduiker
      It would be nice coati or merkat exhibt...Joke away, this exhibit is much biiger than can be seen on the picture. But its good, they don't keep elephants anymore, it would be better, the zoos would keep only indian rhinos, it not necessary, that every zoo in germany is keeping and breeding elephants. I really hope, the new zoo director will do a good decision.( for the rhinos ! )
    • DavidBrown
      Have they built a new elephant exhibit yet, or is there a new one being planned?
    • lintworm
      There are plans to bring the elephant back, but that's talking about decades rather than years.... Nunberg shows that you don't need elephants to be a nice zoo ;)
    • DavidBrown
      Thanks for the information lintworm.

We seem to be in an era where many zoos are going to need to learn from Nunberg about how to be good zoos without elephants.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Tiergarten Nürnberg
    Uploaded By:
    Toddy
    Date:
    26 Nov 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    446.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1154px
    Height:
    865px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    uD800,S800
    Date / Time:
    0000:00:00 00:00:00
    Exposure Time:
    1/125 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 64
    Focal Length:
    8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).