Join our zoo community
Lightninghorse

Ocelot at the ASDM

Ocelot at the ASDM
    • Tragopan
      A good picture, I liked the area where the cats lived. There were also Margays and Jaguarundi, correct? Or was it Bobcats?
    • Lightninghorse
      Hello...yes they do have a Margay but the Jaguarundi was taken off exhibit a few years ago because of arthritis
    • Arizona Docent
      No, they do NOT have a margay anymore. Died almost a year ago of old age. They have not had jaguarundis for several years. As a cat fanatic, I am really sorry to see Small Cat Canyon at ASDM now only have cats in two of the four exhibits. The two remaining cats are a pair of bobcats and a young male ocelot. The old jaguarundi enclosure has had a gray fox for a while and the old margay enlcosure has a young (and very active) racoon.

However, as posted on another thread (I think by Ituri), there is renewed interest in the Felid TAG of possibly bringing jaguarundis back into the U.S. (There are currently only two pairs - both in California - one pair on display at Exotic Feline Breeding Compound, and their parents off display at Project Survival Cat Haven). I have an unconfirmed report that ASDM plans to restore all four cat species to Small Cat Canyon some day. Of course, I have also heard for the 16 years I have lived in Tucson that they plan to bring back jaguars, but it hasn't happened yet. :(
    • Tragopan
      When I went there the Margays were on exhibit. How long ago was the Jaguarundi taken out? I may have seen it when I went, it was March 2008. I just recently posted a few minor photos from the trip.
    • Arizona Docent
      You probably saw the margay in March 08, but no way you saw a jaguarundi. It has been at least four or five years (maybe longer) since they've had one.
    • Onychorhynchus coronatus
      Margay "Blondie" inspired album cover
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
    Uploaded By:
    Lightninghorse
    Date:
    4 Mar 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    222.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1062px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).