Join our zoo community
Daubentoniidae

Ocelot

Ocelot
    • dillotest0
      @Daubentoniidae
      I am curious as to opinions of the AWZP as it is today?
      Though I understand that it is not quite the rarity hotspot that it was in the 00's years.
    • Daubentoniidae
      I think it's a decent little collection, though I haven't been back for a few years now. The rarities were definitely a highlight and I remember seeing my first tamandua, armadillo and kinkajou there when I first visited which was very cool but also the general atmosphere of the place is really nice, especially the walkthrough areas at the beginning of the zoo. I think I remember seeing other species there which they don't have anymore like viscacha.

I find it funny in that even a place called 'Amazon World' which markets itself as South American species, it must include the obligatory meerkats, wallabies, penguins and lemurs like every zoo, not that I have anything against those species but they're so damn numerous it makes you numb to them.
      dillotest0 likes this.
    • dillotest0
      Yah, I always found the latter aspect entertaining to some extent - that a place named 'Amazon' World contained several animals not found anywhere near the Amazon - even if they are popular with the public. For what it is worth, however, such is not necessarily a new thing - in the past, the place also held zorille and fennecs, both Africans, one mountain pygmy possum from Oceania, Prairie dogs of the Northern end of the American continent, numerous birds - from the Amazon, from the Southern area of the American continent [but not the Amazon], and elsewhere on Earth. One such example being the sole remnant of a once-magnificent assortment of toucans - the plate-billed mountain toucan, native to the Andean mountains, as was the Crested Quetzal they had up to 2011.
      On an adverse, it seems other 'Amazon' species seem to be disappearing from the place - the male Giant Anteater died recently - though a recent social media post featuring a giant anteater and the usage of one on their website [with the hamfisted, albeit now accurate claim of being 'The Only Zoo on the Isle of Wight'] lead me to think they might still have one present, though to my knowledge, the last Collared Peccary [itself a species on the overall decline in UK] died some years ago, though it is still listed on the website [the animal list seemingly has not been updated since 2017].
      The overall aesthetic of some corners of the website and some pictures of the site itself give off to me an impression of a place that has almost, albeit not-quite trapped in time around the mid-2000s, though evidently changes here and there have taken place on-site since then.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Amazon World Zoo Park
    Uploaded By:
    Daubentoniidae
    Date:
    19 Mar 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    297.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1920px
    Height:
    1080px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).