Join our zoo community
LegoOwl

Olm (Proteus anguinus)

Zagreb Zoo, Croatia, this year (2020) became only zoo in the world with olm on display. Despite that olm can also be seen in two cave vivariums: Postojnska Cave, Slovenia and Hermann's Cave, Germany (source: zootierliste.de).

Olm (Proteus anguinus)
LegoOwl, 20 Apr 2020
    • Onychorhynchus coronatus
      An incredible species !
    • LegoOwl
      If you look carefully, you will notice that olm is under glass. He feels protected there, but visitors can still see them.
    • aardvark250
      I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Hekinan still have olm.
    • Mr Gharial
      La grotte de clamouse also have them
    • zootografiando
      If the covid allows it, in September I will go to Zagreb and I would like to visit the zoo and meet this species and the Balkan Snow vole.

Where exactly are they? Is it easy to see and take photos? Do they have more than one? Any information is good. Thanks!
    • LegoOwl
      Hi, both exhibits are in the same pavilion. On zoo map search for "IzloĹžba zmije Hrvatske" (Snakes of Croatia exhibition). Snow vole is on ground floor, Olm is on first floor.
      Each species is only in one exhibit. Balkan Snow vole has good condition for photos. But on my visit I go there 3 times to finally have luck that he was visible.
      Olm, of course, usually don't move, it is very dark exhibit, as you can see on my photos.
      Zagreb is a great zoo, have fun.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zagreb Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    LegoOwl
    Date:
    20 Apr 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    258.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2016px
    Height:
    1134px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).