Orange Bellied Parrots

Orange Bellied Parrots
MRJ, 16 Aug 2012
    • Chlidonias
      are these new to the sanctuary?
    • MRJ
      Yes. Exhibit opening 6th September
    • Chlidonias
      very nice. How many zoos are part of the breeding programme for the species?
    • MRJ
      As I understand it 5 now plus two breeding centres that are not open to the public.
    • Chlidonias
      then congratulations to the Moonlit Sanctuary are definitely in order!!
    • Hix
      Do you just have the two pair?
    • MRJ
      No 7 in total currently.
    • Hix
      That's a nice little breeding group! I'm sure you'll enjoy increasing their numbers - how many are you aiming for?

:p

Hix
    • MRJ
      These birds are older birds that have all contributed to the program, so are available for display. While they will be given every opportunity to breed it is not essential to the program that they do breed. Rather they will be displayed in an aviary planted to resemble their salt marsh habitat on the mainland. We are only 500 metres from Western Port Salt Marsh, which has been a very important habitat for this species. Our initial objective is to educate people of the importance of conserving this habitat. We will be building off display breeding aviaries soon. The recovery plan calls for a permanent captive population of about 350 birds, and I would hope we will provide about 10% of those places.
    • Hix
      Good luck with it, then. I must remember to drop by next time I'm down that part of the world.

:p

Hix
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Moonlit Sanctuary
    Uploaded By:
    MRJ
    Date:
    16 Aug 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count: