Join our zoo community
Zebraduiker

P1070052

P1070052
Zebraduiker, 7 Sep 2009
    • snowleopard
      Is this a good quality exhibit? It looks quite similar in size and appearance to the walrus enclosure at the Point Defiance Zoo in Tacoma.
    • reduakari
      It's not too bad, although just like Pt. Defiance's it has been marred by the necessary addition of a protective mesh screen to prevent idiots from tossing objects into the pool.

Unfortunately, the Aquarium has lost both its adult male and 2-year old pup in the past year.
    • Zebraduiker
      Strange, the 2007 born baby was still there when I've visited the Aquarium in June 2009....
      Or do I've seen a ghost ? Uahhh.....
    • reduakari
      It died from unknown causes yesterday--very sad
    • Zooplantman
      Just to be fair to the idiots, these mesh covers are important for preventing leaves and organic debris from blowing into the pool. The walruses have no means to digest such things/
    • Zebraduiker
      @reduakari. Okay, thats a diffrence...Very sad, first the male, now the baby...It wil be not easy to get a new male for the younger female, the other female is very old and blind and not able to breed anymore.
    • Maguari
      I have a hard time believing that'd be a serious problem - I have seen walruses twice and other pinnipeds countless times and I can only think of one occasion off the top of my head where any pinnipeds have had a mesh/net roof (Rhenen - and that enclosure appears to be a converted aviary anyway). Occasionally - as at Oceanopolis - seals in entirely indoor enclosures, but always for a particular reason (Oceanopolis has an Arctic seals exhibit with temperatures and ice to match).

Besides, would it not apply equally to lions, wolves and so on? I'm afraid I think this is more about the 'idiots'.
    • Zooplantman
      I don't dispute your observations, I only report the reason given by the zoos I have worked at. Usually the visitors are under the net with the animals...the net does not separate idiots from pinnipeds.
    • reduakari
      If you look closely you'll note the mesh does fully enclose the pool--it is attached to the handrail. Same at Pt.Defiance.
    • CindelP
      Sad to hear that.

How many viable populations of captive (pacific) Walrus exists in the whole world?

n
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    New York Aquarium
    Uploaded By:
    Zebraduiker
    Date:
    7 Sep 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    114.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    600px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-FZ28
    Date / Time:
    2009:06:08 17:29:53
    Exposure Time:
    10/4000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 160
    Focal Length:
    4.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).