Join our zoo community
Zebraduiker

P1100922

P1100922
Zebraduiker, 7 Sep 2009
    • NAIB Volunteer
      The Wings in the Water exhibit houses one of the counties largest collection of stingrays. About a dozen species of stingrays, three to four species of sharks, and 1 sea turtle. This exhibit also used to house Bottlenose Dolphins (they were moved due to problems with noise and lighting), Sea Lions, and Beluga Whales.
    • Zebraduiker
      I think, the dolphins moved in 1992 to the new building, is that correct ? Can you tell me, when the aquarium has kept beluga whales and sealions in this exhibit ? Was the tank seperated in diffrent exhibits ? I can't imagine they have kept belugas, sea lions and dolphins togehther, this is impossibble because belugas need really cold water, too cold for sealions and dolphins.
    • NAIB Volunteer
      Oh. Sorry for misleading you. None of these species were held together. Originally their were 3 dolphins in the central tray. They were moved out due to problems with noise and lighting. Then two seal lions were put on display in 1982. Then Beluga Whales were added in 1985. The aquarium had four whales. When the Marine Mammal Pavilion openend in 1990, five dolphins and three whales inhabited the same area (one whale died of gastritis (a disease of the pancreas) before the expansion was completed). Back then, and I think currently in certain aquariums, dolphins and beluga whales were commonly kept together in the same exhibit. After an incident in which a beluga whale recieved a blow from a dolphin fluke and died, the remianing two whales were moved to Sea World of San Antonio were they still remain today.
    • Cat-Man
      dosen't look deep enough for either beluga's or dolphin from pov?
    • NAIB Volunteer
      The central pit is actually fairly deep. The exhibit is not good for marine mammals that's why early on the dolphins only lasted a year, the sea lions 2 years, and the beluga whales 4 years. It does however work very nicely with stingrays. The pit was actually covered over after some tray modifications in 2009. It will be completely removed when the exhibit conducts a total makeover in 2012
    • NAIB Volunteer
    • sealion
      Fascinating stuff! Thanks for the links NAIB Volunteer! Such a peculiar tank design! Did the belugas ever swim into the shallows?
    • NAIB Volunteer
      Oh, yes. The shallow part is about 8ft deep while the pit is 15ft deep. I wish Baltimore still had belugas (not in this exhibit of course). They are such charismatic creatures. I should also mention that the walkways go over the exhibit allowing the stingrays to travel underneath.

This whole exhibit will be renovated this September and resemble an edge of a reef with rocks and sand. New species will include black tip reef sharks, white tip reef sharks, guitar fish, spotted leopard ray, and spotted eagle rays.
    • NAIB Volunteer
      Certain sharks and rays have been moved out of the Wings in the Water exhibit due to the construction of Blacktip Reef which will begin after labor day. Calypso, the green sea turtle, and Zoe and Zeke, the zebra sharks, will be moved to the Animal Care Center and will return to the new exhibit once complete. The tarpon, bonnethead sharks, and hogfish will be moved to the Atlantic Coral Reef exhibit. The two rough-tail rays will be moved to the Open Ocean exhibit. The other animals, cownose rays, southern stingrays, and the two barracuda will be moved to the Georgia Aquarium. The remaining tarpon will be moved to Ripley's Aquarium in North Carolina. Construction of the new exhibit is expected to last 9 months.

Construction Website: Coming Soon: Blacktip Reef
    • mweb08
      Do you know exactly when construction is starting and if the Friday's after Five promotion will be available in September? I'm curious since I have someone visiting in early to mid September and I may take her to the aquarium.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    National Aquarium in Baltimore
    Uploaded By:
    Zebraduiker
    Date:
    7 Sep 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    89.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    600px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-FZ28
    Date / Time:
    2009:06:15 21:56:58
    Exposure Time:
    10/150 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    4.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).