Join our zoo community
Juancho

Pampas Deer

Pampas Deer
Juancho, 13 Jul 2011
    • fofo
      very nice pic
    • carlos77
      Someone was asking if this species is in any zoo or animal collection now and this fine photo shows that it is kept and bred here.
    • Juancho
      In Uruguay, only 4 zoos have Pampas Deer. In the recent past was the Berlin Zoo and raised this species, also in San Diego. I do not know if they currently have this deer.
      We have had a recent birth on 29 September (F2).
    • carlos77
      Estimado Juancho
      segun lei aqui en zoochat, ya ni san diego ni berlin tienen esta especie,parece que solo las colecciones de animales de uruguay tienen este privilegio.
      according to what i read here on zoochat, neither berlin or san diego now have this species, so it seems that only the uruguayan animal collections have this distinction.
    • Giant Eland
      Anyone know of any other zoo's in South America that have Pampas Deer?
    • ocean_boy
      Here in Argentina, I know that at least two zoos have this amazing specie: Florencio Varela Zoo and La Plata Zoo. However, none of them have great enclosures as Bioparque M'Bopicuá seems to have. Juancho already said that Uruguay has 4 zoos with this kind of animal, maybe he can give you more information. I'm not sure if Chilean zoos also have this specie.
    • Giant Eland
      Thank you so much Ocean Boy, those Zoos in Argentina are more convenient for me since I'll be in Buenos Aires already. I was already planning on going to Mundo Marino for Southern Elephant Seals, and then Jardin Zoologico de Cdad.Buenos Aires and Parque De Animales Silvestres Temaikèn. Any other suggestions for Argentina in the Buenos Aires or Iguazu area? Elsewhere in South America I will be visiting Guayaquil, Sao Paulo, Belo Horizonte, Lima, Cali, and Bogota (to see Giant Armadillos at Los Ocarros in Villavicencio, Colombia). Have you been to any zoos in those cities?
    • ocean_boy
      Well, Temaikén is a great place, it has the best bird collection and best facilities of all argentinian zoos, however it does not have many species. Buenos Aires Zoo has meny species but it's a very old urban zoo, so it has the common problems that the city zoos often have: big animals in small enclousures, old cages, no land available for expansion; nevertheless it's a nice place. Mundo Marino is a very simple oceanarium; in order to see elephants seals, you have to watch the sea lion show. Mar Del Plata Aquarium has elephants seal in the sea lion show and in the sea lion habitat, however it does not have a killer whale as Mundo Marino. Florencio Varela Zoo and La Plata Zoo are very simple zoos but both have a great collection of native animales. Those are the most important places in Buenos Aires, there are other good zoos but they are very far away from Buenos Aires.

The Iguazu Area has great places where you can see native species. Both countries, Argentina and Brazil, have very good bird parks, however I personally prefer the brazilians ones.

About the other sites you mention, I've only been to Sao Paulo Zoo. I visited it five years ago, and it is a really nice place with a good collection and vegetation. I'm afraid I can't help you with the other places, but here in ZooChat there great users who might be able to help you like carlos77, juancho and eduardo_Brazil. Hope you have a great trip!
    • carlos77
      Sao Paulo is a great zoo for taking photographs, very good in birds and reptiles. Rio is better for brazilian mammals and primates but very outdated installations.Belo Horizonte has a good zoo but i have not been there.I think that Lima has the best capital city zoo in latin america at parque de las leyendas. Oceanboy is right about the Buenos Aires Zoo.
      I have never been to Colombia.When going to Sao Paulo Zoo avoid the terrible paulista traffic by going to the metro subway and taking the zoo bus from there.Check the zoo webpage for this info. In Lima it is better to take a taxi and in Buenos Aires as well.
      Buen viaje.
    • Kifaru Bwana
      Nice enclosure, yes.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Bioparque M'Bopicuá
    Uploaded By:
    Juancho
    Date:
    13 Jul 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    363.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.8
    Make:
    EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
    Model:
    KODAK EASYSHARE C713 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
    Date / Time:
    2007:01:18 02:17:24
    Exposure Time:
    3344/1000000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    18 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).