Maguari

Pantropical Spotted Dolphin at Mote, 07/10/13

[i]Stenella attenuata[/i]

Pantropical Spotted Dolphin at Mote, 07/10/13
Maguari, 22 Oct 2013
    • Maguari
      Stenella attenuata
    • Brum
      Glad to see that the photo's are appearing in the gallery now, especially ones from zoos! ;)
      I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say this was your first spotted dolphin, how many other life-ticks did you get whilst on your American journey? :)
    • Maguari
      It was indeed a whole new species (and genus) for me. Across the trip I saw 21 full new mammal species and 8 new subspecies (of perhaps varying validity!) of species I'd seen before. I don't have figures for birds or herps yet, but there were quite a few from those two groups too (about half of the 90-or-so wild birds were full new species, for one - and only a handful had I seen wild before). And of course, some nice bugs and some very big fishy firsts!
    • Brum
      Did you get to finally see some gerenuks? :p

Seriously though, what were the most exciting species? The whale sharks or something else entirely? Sounds like you had a ball, do you think you'll surpass last years total of 600(?) mammal taxa this year?
    • Maguari
      Gerenuks - oh yes!

As for most exciting species - keep watching! :D

(though Whale Sharks and Gerenuks are certainly up there!)

600? No chance. Will be mid-400s, solidly mid-table of the nine years I've kept track. 2012 had two week-plus Euro-zoo tours, including Prague and Plzen. Won't get near that total for a while I think!
    • Brum
      Well if gerenuks and whale sharks are up there then I'm really intrigued as to the biggie?:confused: :p

How about new taxa then? I did realise 600 would be a push, last year was mega for you. Vietnam and the Czech Republic must be hard to beat! :D
    • Maguari
      There isn't particularly a biggie, but several biggies (including those two). I haven't got a ranking for them, so I can't tell you the biggie! :p

About 35-37 new mammal taxa this year, I think. USA brought the bulk of them. The numbers are lower this year but the interest (and enjoyment!) level is not, I assure you! I keep track of the numbers but when it comes down to it it's all about having a good time and seeing some good animals in nice places, not just ratcheting up numbers - otherwise I'd just visit Berlin, Berlin, Prague and Plzen every January then rest up for a few months. :D

(not that that might not also be enjoyable, of course!)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Mote Marine Laboratory
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    22 Oct 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    181.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1071px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D80
    Date / Time:
    2013:10:07 19:49:53
    Exposure Time:
    10/6400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    300 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).