Parma Wallabies

February 1984

Parma Wallabies
Hix, 10 May 2012
    • Hix
      February 1984
    • toto98
      My favourite wallaby sprecies... they are very cute

were these all they had? or how big was the population?
    • Hix
      No, they had much more. I'll check "The Dodo" for the year that I visited when I get home, but from memory it was around 30 individuals.
    • toto98
      Wow... that´s a big group!
    • Hix
      According to the inventory in The Dodo #19, on 1/1/82 they had 31 animals, and at 31/12/82 they had 34. During the year 12 young were born and raised, one adult female died, and 4.4 were exported.
    • Chlidonias
      I'm pretty sure the original stock came directly from New Zealand.
    • Rick J
      Their former enclosure is currently empty, too.
    • toto98
      Really? I thought the red river hogs were here... if not, then where in the zoo was this exhibit?
    • Hix
      As I remember, when you walked in through the entrance you turned left, then turned right. The enclosure was a long one, and the back fence was the perimeter fence. The exhibit ran parallel with the main road, and was opposite the cheetahs.

However, looking at an old guide book it appears it was a bit further along, just to the left of the Gaherty Reptile Breeding Centre. They may have been there previously, but the Education Centre was there when I was studying (I think).

:p

Hix
    • Rick J
      Well, you are both right. The last place they were housed was indeed where 'hogs of the bai' is currently. When Hix took this photo, however, they would have been up around the back, sort of behind the Princess Royal Pavillion and 'First Impressions (Cloud Forest)' – parallel with the main road, as Hix said.

It's this, older enclosure, that has stood empty (and unfenced) for many years. The main reason is the amount of traffic that passes on the other side of the wall. Some of it has become the Education Dept's nature garden, with a mini-amphitheater and ponds, bird feeders and patches of rough grass for glow worms.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust
    Uploaded By:
    Hix
    Date:
    10 May 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    231.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1584px
    Height:
    1036px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).