Join our zoo community
David Matos Mendes

Peccari exhibit - Aracaju zoo

(view from the zoo's cable car) Barren small enclosure for a big family of peccaries

Peccari exhibit - Aracaju zoo
David Matos Mendes, 18 Sep 2020
FelipeDBKO likes this.
    • FelipeDBKO
      That's the first time I've ever heard about that zoo, and based on your other media you seem pretty critical about it (which I can see why)
      Is there any particular good trait about it, and what would you rate it on a scale from 0 to 10 (̶1̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶B̶o̶s̶q̶u̶e̶ ̶G̶u̶a̶r̶a̶n̶i̶)̶?
    • David Matos Mendes
      @FelipeDBKO
      I also had never heard about this zoo untill I made a trip to Aracaju, and in my researches I found it. Went there to meet a new institution, it was in 2017, but from the recent pictures that google maps shows us, absolutely nothing has changed there.

Actually I was just waiting for this zoo's page to be created here in zoochat so that I could add my opinions. As a zoo defender, It's very hard for me to criticize any zoological institution, I always try to find the best, even in the worst ones, mainly because zoos in general already receive many critics from a considerable part of society, but this zoo is an extreme case, so I felt oblied to show my point :(

I would definitely rate it on the 0 scale, unfortunately... It is inferior to Guarani zoo in some points, even if this afirmation looks surprisingly. At least Guarani has many trees, and I consider their caiman exhibits to be pretty fine (although I can't let to say that Guarani is actually one of the worst zoos I've ever visited, having a ridiculous contrast with parque das aves, in the same city).

Aracaju zoo could have a nice structure; there's already a cable car (in a very good maintenance condition, actually) that passes over the entire zoo. I think this would be the best part of the zoo; but I consider the institution being so bad because of it's exhibits, wich are the main point of a zoo... You can find exhibits there that look like chicken houses that people build in their backyards, like the phythom enclosure. And there are other ones that look like came directly from the 1960's zoos, but Aracaju zoo is not that old, and it makes me very sad that a quite recent zoo already started with very very bad enclosures, even being not so old.

We know the northeast of the country is very hot and sunny, and Aracaju is not different, and there are many animals that have not even a canopy to hide... even being native animals, that are used to this weather, in the wild they have trees, branches and rocks to hide, but at Aracaju zoo it's just concrete, little grassy areas and chainlink fence. To add, I know the zoo housed even grizzly bears a few years ago... Can't even imagine in wich enclosure, because I couldn't see any place there that could hold an animal like this...

To finish, it's probably the worse quality of zoo in our country. Can't say it's the worst one because it is equivalent to other northeastern zoos and some other zoos in other regions... There were some tries to close it, and as I know the city hall is probably not going to make renovations in there, I think closing would be the best option.
      FelipeDBKO likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Aracaju Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    David Matos Mendes
    Date:
    18 Sep 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    190 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    640px
    Height:
    480px
    Aperture:
    f/5.9
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    DSC-WX100
    Date / Time:
    2017:07:25 11:16:19
    Exposure Time:
    1/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 160
    Focal Length:
    38.09 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).