Join our zoo community
Baldur

Philadelphia Zoo 2010 - Short-eared Elephant Shrew in Small Mammal House

September 2010 Short-eared Elephant Shrew in Small Mammal House.

Philadelphia Zoo 2010 - Short-eared Elephant Shrew in Small Mammal House
Baldur, 15 Dec 2010
    • Baldur
      September 2010

Short-eared Elephant Shrew in Small Mammal House.
    • yangz
      It is really rare to see this animal in zoos. Thank you for the pic Baldur.
    • Baldur
      My pleasure - and thank you for telling me that I have seen such a rare zoo creature, for I certainly didn't know that, but do now.
    • Maguari
      There are 33 European zoos listed at Zootierliste for this species - not sure how many in the States.

They're certainly not especially common things - though when I was last there Wuppertal had dozens behind the scenes. There are also two other species of elephant shrew in Europe - Chequered at Prague and Rufous at Cologne.

Absolutely wonderful exhibit animals - weird and undemanding space-wise.

http://www.zoochat.com/416/chequered-elephant-shrew-prague-24-05-a-153101/
      http://www.zoochat.com/37/rufous-elephant-shrew-cologne-07-09-a-198053/
    • yangz
      European zoos certainly has a lot of animals that US don't have. I would love to cross the pond and visit its wonderful zoos there. Czeck zoos and German zoos are on my list. And thanks for the photos. Wonderful shots.
    • Maguari
      Thanks! German and Czech zoos are both very good, on the whole - Germany's probably the best zoo country in Europe and Prague is a serious contender for Europe's best zoo.
    • Toddy
      Don't forget the Dutch zoos! The Netherlands have one of the highest densities of top-class zoos in Europe including some of the best in the world (Rotterdam and Burgers for instance).
    • Maguari
      Yes indeed - I only limited myself to German and Czech as those had already been brought up - Dutch zoos are also superb! The two you mention would both probably be in my 'top ten' - Rotterdam is one of the zoos Prague would be fighting with for best in Europe.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Philadelphia Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Baldur
    Date:
    15 Dec 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: