March 17, 2016.

phone photo instructions
Arizona Docent, 18 Mar 2016
    • Arizona Docent
      March 17, 2016.
    • Ebirah766
      Kind of ridiculous for a DESERT zoo...
    • Arizona Docent
      @Ebirah766 The Sonoran Desert includes the Gulf of California. This is clearly demonstrated in the graphics for the exhibit. (There is also a small aquarium building at the museum entrance with similar explanations). However I do object to this exhibit for other reasons, but not because it is geographically inappropriate as you imply.
    • Ebirah766
      Ah, okay. Now that I think about it the zoo could be a great place for endangered pupfish. Do they have any?
    • birdsandbats
    • Ituri
      If we wanted to get real nitpickey, they are Atlantic Cownose Rays, not the Golden Cownose Ray that is present in the Gulf of California... :p
    • Ebirah766
      @Ituri

That would actually make sense...
    • Arizona Docent
      @birdsandbats Not a live one of course, but they do have a model of one hanging from the ceiling of the small aquarium building.
      birdsandbats likes this.
    • birdsandbats
    • Arizona Docent
      @birdsandbats I object for two reasons.

1) It is a cheap money making scheme (no one gets into the exhibit area unless they pay to feed the stingrays). It is a copy of something that zoos around the country (including nearby Phoenix Zoo and Rooster Cogburn Ostrich Farm) are doing because it is proven to generate revenue. In the past ASDM has always been original and avoided copying other zoos and avoided these extra fee gimmicks. It is out of character and lowers their credibility in my opinion.

2) The huge shade awnings and metal ticket counter stick out and do not blend into the surroundings at all. Historically ASDM has always done a great job of blending into the surrounding desert so that most exhibits look like they were always there (even though they are recreations). This ugly construction ruins the views and overall feeling of the museum.
      birdsandbats likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    18 Mar 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    90.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    432px
    Height:
    648px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III
    Date / Time:
    2016:03:17 10:53:05
    Exposure Time:
    1/1250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    100 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).