Join our zoo community
LaughingDove

Pig-tailed Macaque - Sepilok

June 2018

Pig-tailed Macaque - Sepilok
    • Terry Thomas
      Good photo. Would not like to tangle with him!
    • LaughingDove
      You really don't want to mess with the Pig-tailed Macaques at Sepilok, especially because they have lost some of their fear of humans. I did have a close encounter with them that was rather two close for comfort, here is the relevant excerpt from my blog:

After about 11:30 I decided it was pointless in the heat and I should turn back. I did have one scare walking on the way back down the trail though as I passed a group of Pig-tailed Macaques going the other way. There were three massive males with a large group of females and young and they really didn’t like me there. They started by just displaying their teeth and doing the threatening macaque bending down as well as eventually mock-charging and almost going for me. I just held my ground and walked slowly on the other side of the trail, trying to keep as far away from the females and young as possible, but it wasn’t a very wide trail and it did get very hairy as I was going past. Even once I was past the group, the males followed me down the path, mock-charging along the way, until I was well away from the group. I’m not sure what the right response is for macaques. For dogs you bend down to pretend to pick up a rock but I don’t think that would have been good for macaques. Do you make yourself look as big as possible? I imagine running would have been the wrong thing to do in this situation, it rarely is right with animals.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Malaysia - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    LaughingDove
    Date:
    17 Sep 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    515.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1766px
    Height:
    1920px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 750D
    Date / Time:
    2018:06:15 00:05:02
    Exposure Time:
    1/320 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 2000
    Focal Length:
    210 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).