Join our zoo community
aardvark250

Pink-backed Pelican

Pink-backed Pelican
aardvark250, 15 Feb 2019
Summer Tanager likes this.
    • KevinB
      I think this is an American white pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos).
    • birdsandbats
      Nope. This is an Australian Pelican (Pelecanus conspicillatus).
    • Kakapo
      Both of you are wrong. This is undoubtedly a pink-backed pelican (Pelecanus rufescens).
      lintworm and KevinB like this.
    • lintworm
      I completely agree with @Kakapo , you can clearly see the vertical ribs on the pouch.
    • KevinB
      I apologize for posting two incorrect identifications today.

I should have done more and more diligent research for this one, and I shouldn't have been so quick about making identifications on taxons I'm not all that familiar with.

I was way too quick and unthinking with this one and I sincerely apologize for that.

I will be more careful with this in the future. However, I don't think I should be posting anything in the gallery anymore at least for a while.
    • birdsandbats
      @KevinB Don't be so hard on yourself. We all make mistakes.
    • Kakapo
      Everybody can fail, it's what make us humans. No need to apologize :)
      And you said "I think that is...". So, you didn't give an incorrect ID, as you didn't stated the ID.

Seems that I also failed an ID in the same comment session (milky storks vs. yellow-billed storks).
      KevinB likes this.
    • KevinB
      Thanks @birdsandbats and @Kakapo . I just didn't have a good day yesterday. I was just frustrated over a lot of stuff and it got to me more than it should for my own sake.

That said, I still consider this a lesson learned with regards to being sufficiently diligent with doing research when things concern taxons I'm not familiar with.

Today I'm probably going to go to my local Zoo, Zoo Planckendael - Antwerp was the original plan but that takes a lot more travel and I'm not feeling like doing that - to try and relax a bit. It is unusually warm and sunny for February around here right now (or at least it soon will be) so let's hope it will be fun.
      FunkyGibbon likes this.
    • aardvark250
      Thanks @Kakapo for all the identification. @KevinB you don't need to apologize for that. There's not a perfect human who can always identify species correctly.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Kuala Lumpur Bird Park
    Uploaded By:
    aardvark250
    Date:
    15 Feb 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    11.7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 650D
    Date / Time:
    2019:02:03 11:42:57
    Exposure Time:
    1/200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    55 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).