Join our zoo community
Maguari

Pinniped Exhibit at Hannover, 23/03/13

Home to a mix of Baltic Grey Seals, Californian Sea Lions and Northern Fur Seals - and also equipped with a wave machine (on one of its lower power settings here).

Pinniped Exhibit at Hannover, 23/03/13
Maguari, 13 Apr 2013
    • Maguari
      Home to a mix of Baltic Grey Seals, Californian Sea Lions and Northern Fur Seals - and also equipped with a wave machine (on one of its lower power settings here).
    • snowleopard
      This Canadian-themed area (Yukon Bay) seems like a far superior version of Pittsburgh Zoo's Water's Edge complex. Hannover is an enormously popular zoo (1.6 million annual visitors) and there are several large-scale, themed exhibit areas. Maguari, how would you rate Yukon Bay and the zoo as a whole? Also, are the wave-machines set to speed up at specific times throughout the day?
    • Maguari
      I like Hannover a lot. My usual caveat to heavily-themed zoos applies - I wouldn't like every zoo to be like that - but generally it works well. For me, Yukon Bay was very impressive and probably my favourite of the themed areas - the African area is good but like any tropical-themed exhibit outdoors in northern Europe is never quite going to look spot-on. I'd want to see Outback in the summer before making a judgement as it wasn't at full strength in the remnants of snow. I'm not a huge fan of the Jungle Palace area for Asian species - bits of it are great but there's a lot of (what feels to me like) wasted space and not enough greenery. The Meyershof farm area is one of the best I've seen - with real German farm buildings moved to the site brick-by-brick.

For this type of exhibit, Yukon Bay suits me very well - consistent, attractive and imaginative theming, good quality catering built in (including supposedly Canadian English pale ale in German, if you can believe such a thing), very good viewing and a pleasing mix of species, including both familiar ABCs and weird rarities. Indeed, the area has by my count nine mammal taxa* and three of them were new to me (the caribou, squirrel and fur seal - rising to four if you count the Baltic Grey Seals, which I'd seen before but not realised until afterwards!).

*Mackenzie River Wolf, Woodland Caribou, Wood Bison, Black-tailed Prairie Marmot, Northern Fur Seal, Baltic Grey Seal, California Sea Lion, Polar Bear, American Red Squirrel. The area also has Sandhill Cranes, Wild Turkeys, a selection of North American waterfowl (housed in the Africa section over the winter!), Black-footed Penguins, Peruvian Brown Pelicans and Snowy Owls - and a large shoal of trout that usually reside in the polar bear pool but as that had been under refurbishment were in the penguin pool when we were there!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Erlebnis-Zoo Hannover
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    13 Apr 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    299 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S9500
    Date / Time:
    2013:03:23 09:55:08
    Exposure Time:
    10/4800 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    6.2 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).