Join our zoo community
Toddy

Planckendael - Asia (Pheasant aviary)

The aviary for golden pheasants (Chrysolophus pictus) outside the Tropical House in the Asia Area in Planckendael. This aviary was originally built for wrinkled hornbills (Aceros corrugatus) that still have their indoor aviary in the Tropical House connected to this one. I don’t know what caused the species shift in this exhibit. The Asia theme in Planckendael is the newest theme currently being developed. The first major part (Gir Forest and Tropical House) was opened in 2006 while the next major part (elephants) will open in 2012. Planckendael, July 2011.

Planckendael - Asia (Pheasant aviary)
Toddy, 15 Dec 2011
    • Toddy
      The aviary for golden pheasants (Chrysolophus pictus) outside the Tropical House in the Asia Area in Planckendael. This aviary was originally built for wrinkled hornbills (Aceros corrugatus) that still have their indoor aviary in the Tropical House connected to this one. I don’t know what caused the species shift in this exhibit.

The Asia theme in Planckendael is the newest theme currently being developed. The first major part (Gir Forest and Tropical House) was opened in 2006 while the next major part (elephants) will open in 2012.

Planckendael, July 2011.
    • Hvedekorn
      Just for information it housed both species you mention when I visited last year (July 2010). So it's not a shift, though I may also wonder why the hornbills aren't allowed to get outside anymore.
    • Toddy
      Well, it would still be a shift, wouldn't it? An exhibit built for one species now housing another. But enough with the semantics. I figured that the species could probably mix but the hornbills were not let outside and there was no sign for them by this aviary so I assumed they didn't use it at all.
    • Hvedekorn
      Oh well :p Guess I just didn't thought of it as a shift as it happened gradually with both species sharing the exhibit at a point.
      Anyways, would that mean they removed or locked (or whatever they may have done with it) the door inside the tropical house leading from the viewing of the hornbills' indoor exhibit to a close viewing of this aviary? I guess it existed because the hornbills, at least at my visit, tended to go from their indoor aviary to their outdoor aviary and reverse all the time.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Planckendael
    Uploaded By:
    Toddy
    Date:
    15 Dec 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    258.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1059px
    Height:
    706px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).