Join our zoo community
lintworm

Polar bear enclosure

Polar bear enclosure
lintworm, 8 Apr 2018
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • aardvark250
      That's a sad exhibit.Is this the whole exhibit for these two bears?
    • lintworm
      @aardvark250 Unfortunately it is. These bears are also very new to the zoo, so I cannot understand why they agreed to house them because the enclosure is hugely inadequate as you can see....
    • aardvark250
      So........these weren't build in the 60s?
    • lintworm
      @aardvark250 The rock is 100 years old, these bears only arrived in 2017, before that they did not keep Polar bear for several years....
    • Bear Conservation
      lintworm. Would it be possible to use your photo of the polar bear in enclosure on the page we're setting up for Budapest Zoo on the Bear Conservation website? We would credit you as the photographer, of course and can include a copyright notice or creative commons licence of your choice. This is part of a new project - you can see the early work at Captive polar bear directory – Bear Conservation

David
    • Cat-Man
      Horrific; Prague looks similarly bad from the photos of seen. Are there any good polar bear enclosures east of france and south of Scandinavia?
    • lintworm
      @Cat-Man Prague is better, both in Germany and in Vienna there are good enclosures, otherwisr Polar Bears are a rarity. Brno and Warsaw also have better enclosures but I wouldn't call them great...
    • Cat-Man
      Prague looks aesthetically much nicer but I wonder how that translates for the bears. What are the best enclosures in Germany? I have seen both Berlin’s and they were not anything special.

I believe Vienna’s is quite new and an improvement.
    • lintworm
      @Cat-Man Nuremberg, Hannover, Munich and Rostock are all pretty good and attractive and at a similar level as Vienna, which really is pretty nice. Karlsruhe, Gelsenkirschen and Bremerhaven are also not bad. The Berlin's are below that (though the water bodies are great) and better than say Neumunster and far better than Hamburg and Wuppertal at the bottom. Fortunately Wuppertal will go out of Polar Bears in the near future. This is also the only German enclosure as bad as Prague / Budapest. Prague is clearly larger than Budapest and has 2 enclosures instead of only 1, but is still quite bad.
    • Cat-Man
      @lintworm that’s really reassuring to hear; thanks limtworm! are there any enclosures you would put on a similar level to the great ones in the US?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Budapest Zoo and Botanical Garden
    Uploaded By:
    lintworm
    Date:
    8 Apr 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3240px
    Height:
    2160px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7200
    Date / Time:
    2018:03:31 11:47:35
    Exposure Time:
    1/5000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 2500
    Focal Length:
    11.5 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).