Join our zoo community
mweb08

poor Okapi exhibit

poor Okapi exhibit
mweb08, 4 Sep 2009
    • snowleopard
      This enclosure reminds me of the abysmal hoofstock yards at the San Antonio Zoo. How many zoos in the entire world actually have dense, thick undergrowth in their okapi yards? Zoos like Miami in the U.S. or Marwell in England keep okapis in wide-open fields, and the better exhibits (Bronx, San Diego) feature tons of shade and thick foliage.
    • phoenix
      this looks suspiciously like an old hippo enclosure to me.......
    • Animal
      I wonder if it would use the pool if it could. :D
    • animalman0341
      This has to be one of the worst in the U.S.
    • Ituri
      That's an awfully harsh criticism to be issuing based purely on a single photo. Let's not forget, this is an AZA accredited zoo, so it's safe to say, regardless of aesthetics, the animals needs ARE being met.
    • James27
      Indeed, the only major downside appears to be the size, but it may be bigger.
    • mweb08
      The photo shows the entire exhibit. His comment may be harsh, but it's true imo. He's not talking about the care for the animal, he's talking about the exhibit itself, and it's quite bad.
      Grant likes this.
    • snowleopard
      This is one crappy okapi exhibit. Zoo visitors glance across an empty moat and through a metal fence into a tiny, barren yard with a single tree and a bright red door. Hideous.;)
    • animalman0341
      Sorry for being so harsh but I was looking at the exhibit at the Bronx Zoo and then I turn to this, it's just a disappointing exhibit.But I'm sure they get great care from keepers and vets.
    • Blackduiker
      Blackduiker

Tiny. Smallest Okapi enclosure I've ever seen, live or photo.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Philadelphia Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    mweb08
    Date:
    4 Sep 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: