Join our zoo community
TeaLovingDave

Portion of the Biodiversity Wall at Museum f?r Naturkunde, Berlin - April 9

A selection of the bird taxa displayed as part of the Biodiversity Wall, the centrepiece of the Evolution in Action exhibit. I encourage Zoochatters to try to identify as many taxa as possible!

Portion of the Biodiversity Wall at Museum f?r Naturkunde, Berlin - April 9
TeaLovingDave, 9 Dec 2015
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • TeaLovingDave
      A selection of the bird taxa displayed as part of the Biodiversity Wall, the centrepiece of the Evolution in Action exhibit.

I encourage Zoochatters to try to identify as many taxa as possible!
    • Pertinax
      Without using books-let me see...

Mousebird
      European Kingfisher
      Bearded Tit
      Gouldian Finch(red headed)
      Waxwing
      Virginian Cardinal
      Cb(?) Manikin.
      Barbet(Blue throated?)
      BeeEater.
      Coucal?
      Scops(?) Owl
      Woodchat(?) Shrike.
      Malachite(?) Kingfisher
      + 'a' sunbird, 'a' waxbill and various others I should know but don't...:eek:
    • temp
      Top:
      Blue-naped or Red-faced Mousebird, Common (European) Kingfisher, Pyrrhura Parakeet sp (probably Green-cheeked, but not easy with old and often faded specimens), Fiscal Shrike sp, Blue-throated Barbet, European Bee-eater, White-faced Owl.

Middle:
      male Gouldian Finch, male Bearded Tit, African Paradise-flycatcher, male Blue-and-White Flycatcher, Bohemian Waxwing, male Northern (Virginia) Cardinal, Scops/Megascops Owl sp., male Asian Fairy Bluebird.

Bottom:
      female Trainbearer sp, Sparkling Violetear, male Golden-headed Manakin, African Pygmy Kingfisher, Opal-rumped Tanager, Vinous-throated Parrotbill, White-crowned Robin-chat, Pitta-like Ground-roller, Red-and-yellow Barbet.

Only partially visible:
      male Eurasian Bullfinch, Hooded Pitta, Little Grebe, Crowned Pigeon sp (crown only, bottom).

Not sure what to make of the "fluffball" in lower left corner or the small black-headed reddish-orange bird directly next to it.

The brightly marked insects: Two uranid moths (Urania leilus and Chrysiridia sp) and the upper corner of a male birdwing butterfly's wing (Ornithoptera sp).
    • vogelcommando
      The black-headed reddish-orange bird next to the "fluffball" is in any case a species of Lonchura.
    • temp
      When I first saw this photo Lonchura (munia/mannikin) was also my gut reaction for that specimen, but looking closer there are a few problems. None of the somewhat similar Lonchura species have a black tail, the wing pattern (standard wing-panel) doesn't match any Lonchura and it just looks too red. Finally, if looking closely it appears to have a fairly long primary extension (at first glance easily mistaken for the tail), which definitely excludes members of this genus.
      It may be an old, faded ("foxed" if using taxonomic terminology) Red Siskin, but can't say for certain based on this photo.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Museum für Naturkunde
    Uploaded By:
    TeaLovingDave
    Date:
    9 Dec 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    242.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/5.0
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S6800
    Date / Time:
    2014:04:09 11:00:25
    Exposure Time:
    10/300 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    15.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).