Join our zoo community
BeardsleyZooFan

Predators- Amur Leopard Exhibit Construction

December 29, 2012: This is the first exhibit. There is a similarly sized exhibit next to it.

Predators- Amur Leopard Exhibit Construction
BeardsleyZooFan, 30 Dec 2012
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      December 29, 2012: This is the first exhibit. There is a similarly sized exhibit next to it.
    • ThylacineAlive
      What's the sign on the railing with the picture of the Amur Tiger say?

~Thylo:cool:
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      "Do Not Cross Barrier; These are Wild Animals, Not Pets."
      That sign was from when the exhibit held Andean Bears, but why take down the sign when it will be needed again when the leopards come?
    • The Vegan
      Where will the leopards be sourced from?
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      I would rather not post where the female leopard is coming from, as it is not official, though I think I might know where. If you really want to know PM me.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Why? You posted that the leopard was coming months before the zoo announced it so why not just tell us where you think it's being sourced. I think I know as well but will not post it as your wishes. I think it was briefly talked about on the Beardsley News Thread, though.

• filipinos
      This exhibit already looked ok and i hope it will get better with the renovations.
      I quite like this little zoo.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Some areas definetly need work IMO but others are very nice. The zoo's new expansion, Pampas Plains, and this new exhibit will really help it in many ways.

• BeardsleyZooFan
      ThylacineAlive- I believe I have talked about why I announced the Amur Leopards before the zoo put this sign up on the construction site. A staff member there told me that she couldn't tell me what animal it was, but another staff member nearby told her that they told a group of children in one of their summer on-site programs that the replacement animal for the Andean Bear will be Amur Leopards, making it okay to tell me. We discussed through PM why I will choose not to say where I think the female leopard will be sourced from, as I am not 100% sure if my assumption is correct.
      filipinos- It was unsuitable for the Andean Bear, as it was a bit too small, the bear performed stereotypical behavior relentlessly, and there were safety issues with the exhibit, as it is that old. Amur Leopards should get decent space and climbing oppurtunities, but as others have said, one of the biggest problems is if they don't replace the heinous fencing. Fortunately, I think new viewing areas are planned, but the main update on construction so far seems to be removing stuff previously for the bear, and building new holding.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    BeardsleyZooFan
    Date:
    30 Dec 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count: