Join our zoo community
Mr Wrinkly

Prehensile-tailed porcupine

A keeper turned the lights on in the exhibit and was giving treats. Unfortunately there were so many lit signs behind me I could not get any full-body pictures.

Prehensile-tailed porcupine
Mr Wrinkly, 17 May 2014
Jonas likes this.
    • Mr Wrinkly
      A keeper turned the lights on in the exhibit and was giving treats. Unfortunately there were so many lit signs behind me I could not get any full-body pictures.
    • TZFan
      I love that big pink nose.

How many were there in the exhibit? I know we have female Nicole but I wonder if her mate was replaced.
    • Mr Wrinkly
      There were two. I don't know anything about them.

This one stayed in the box while the keeper was working with the other one with a clicker and treats - orange sections.
    • TZFan
      Maybe we did get a new male. But then again it could just be the 2011 baby who hasnt moved yet.
    • adams7
      From what I know, its one male and one female on exhibit.
    • TZFan
      Thanks adams7. Unfortunately that still doesnt clear things up because the 2011 baby was a male. Still possible its him and not a mate. But if it is a mate thats super. Baby porcupines are adorable in their own prickly way.
    • adams7
      It is not the 2011 baby- it was separated from its mother sometime in 2012 I believe. From what I remember, this male arrived sometime last year was on exhibit last summer.
    • TZFan
      Oh that's good. It's harder to keep track of the movements of some of the smaller animals. Maybe we will get lucky and see a baby sometime soon. And if not at least Nicole has company.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Mr Wrinkly
    Date:
    17 May 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: