Join our zoo community
Giant Panda

"Touch Tank"

In an otherwise average aquarium, this feature really stood out. You can put your hands through these moon pool-like holes and touch the fish. Has this been done anywhere else? September 2015.

"Touch Tank"
Giant Panda, 26 Jan 2016
    • Giant Panda
      In an otherwise average aquarium, this feature really stood out. You can put your hands through these moon pool-like holes and touch the fish. Has this been done anywhere else?

September 2015.
    • gentle lemur
      Was this tank designed by M C Escher? I can't see why the pressure of the water above the hand holes doesn't force the water to syphon out through them. Are they sealed in some way?
      BTW I hate the breeding and display of those poor misshapen hybrids known as 'parrot cichlids'.

Alan
    • Giant Panda
    • Chlidonias
      this is so wierd. I googled the tank, which they label as the Mystical Anti Gravity Interactive Concept Tank (i.e. MAGIC Tank) and found this article:Water doesn't gush out, is this magic? | Travel

• zooboy28
      I was so confused when I saw this, but that kind of makes sense. It doesn't affect the fish in any way presumably?
    • gentle lemur
      Thank you Chlidonias - that does solve the mystery.
      I did some rough calculations - if there is 50 cm depth of water above the openings, the pressure of the air above the tank surface has to be reduced by about 5000 Pa, or 5% of atmospheric pressure, to prevent leakage: that would not be difficult to achieve with a decent air pump. Damned ingenious ;)
      They must have specially shaped plugs to block the holes when they turn the air pump off and open the top of the tank for cleaning and maintenance.

Alan

BTW: the Assistant Curator should not have used the word 'vacuum'. My old Physics teachers would have chewed him out for doing so. At least he didn't use the dread phrase 'partial vacuum'. The air pump simply reduces the pressure of the air on the surface of the water inside the aquarium.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Underwaterworld Singapore
    Uploaded By:
    Giant Panda
    Date:
    26 Jan 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    168.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.2
    Make:
    SAMSUNG
    Model:
    WB150 / WB150F / WB152 / WB152F / WB151 / WB151F / WB140
    Date / Time:
    2012:08:24 06:12:08
    Exposure Time:
    1/3 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    4 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).