Join our zoo community
zooboy28

Rainbow Skink with Two Tails

Rainbow Skink (Lampropholis delicata) I think its a rainbow anyway - can anyone confirm?

Rainbow Skink with Two Tails
zooboy28, 5 Jul 2016
amur leopard likes this.
    • zooboy28
      Rainbow Skink (Lampropholis delicata)

I think its a rainbow anyway - can anyone confirm?
    • LaughingDove
      That's awesome!
      Any more story to this? Did you just find it?
    • zooboy28
      Sorry, there's not much more known.

I didn't find it, nor have I seen it in person. A kid at my brothers' school (a bit north of Auckland, NZ) found it, and the teacher sent a photo of it to me to ID, but I don't know any more. I think it has been released.

I was thinking it was some form of regrown tail, where the original failed to drop off properly? I don't really know though.
    • Swampy
      Definitely a regenerated tail gone wrong. I've seen the same thing in several gecko & Skink species.
    • Chlidonias
      I think it is most likely a rainbow skink. The other species which would be likely to be caught would be the copper skink and it isn't one of those.

Interestingly DOC has relabelled rainbow skinks as "plague skinks" :rolleyes:

The only two-tailed skink I have seen had the break near the end of the tail so rather than two tails it had more of a pronged tail instead.
    • zooboy28
      Thanks for the info Swampy and Chlidonias.

I saw that they were now "plague skinks" on the DOC website, its certainly a more negative name than rainbow skink. Interesting rebranding!
    • animal_expert01
      Looks a bit like a common garden skink? That's awesome btw!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    New Zealand - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    zooboy28
    Date:
    5 Jul 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count: