Join our zoo community
cypher

Red Panda

Red Panda taking a nap in the old Clouded Leopard exhibit in the Malayan Woods Pavilion.

Red Panda
cypher, 13 Nov 2013
    • cypher
      Red Panda taking a nap in the old Clouded Leopard exhibit in the Malayan Woods Pavilion.
    • zooboy28
      So this is an indoor enclosure? I'm wondering why a red panda would be kept indoors, as they are obviously well-equipped to deal with cold climates, and therefore can make a good, year-round, outdoor exhibit, thereby freeing up indoor space for other species. Or is this just a temporary arrangement?
    • TZFan
      The red pandas are hanging out inside right now in the clouded leopard exhibit in the Malayan Woods building. Our last clouded leopard, Merriweather, died recently and the exhibit was sitting empty. Our red pandas have been off exhibit while the Eurasian Wilds has been under construction. Considering the size of the exhibit and the popularity of the pandas it gives them a chance to hang out on exhibit for the next several months. They will go back to their regular home just before the Eurasian Wilds opens up in the spring. We have three. A mating pair, Ralphie and Cassie. As well as a non breeding female Maki. Until they know what they are planning on replacing the clouded leopards with Maki might stay on in the exhibit, thats my guess.
    • zooboy28
      Thanks for the info TZFan.
    • TZFan
      No problem. Happy I could answer your question. Your right it would be a shame to have a hardy winter animal inside year round when that space could be better used for any other tropical animal. Personally I hope they simply replace our clouded leopard with a breeding pair. However the exhibit could hold a number of other small mammals and its anyones guess what will go in there, hopefully by spring but possibly longer. It will be interesting to see what is chosen.
    • cypher
      On my last visit, I ask one of the keepers in the Malayan Woods about what they plan on putting in the Clouded Leopard exhibit. She told me that there has been some discussion, but no confirmations on anything. Moving the Red Panda's there temporarily was the smartest thing to do at the moment, especially considering the lack of butterflies, which are starting to die off.
    • arcticwolf
      Putting red pandas in the clouded leopard exhibit was a good idea but I'm glad it's not permanent. Firstly the pandas like cold climates and secondly because red pandas fit more in the Eurasia section than indomalaya. There are so many cool animals that can be put in this exhibit so hopefully the zoo will acquire some so the exhibit won't be empty when Eurasia reopens.
    • TZFan
      Im not surprised the keeper said nothing firm has been decided. First the zoo has to figure out what it would like. Then they have to contact the animals TAG to let them know of their intentions. Next the TAG has to check its available animals, decide on the best genetic grouping for the zoo if any animals are available for transfer. Followed by paper work with likely both sides of the border to import the animals unless some are available in Canada. And then arrange transport. At any point the plans could fall apart. Say they want more leopards the TAG might not be willing to send any either because they have no spares available at the moment or our exhibit needs to be upgraded to meet new requirements. They might not be allowed into the country or to leave the US. The status of any of the animals might change during the paper work making them unavailable. And then if they cant get the species they want they will have to start all over again with a new species. If they announced it now it could change and people could be disappointed. Better to wait until the animals are at the zoo then make a big announcement.

If the new species arent chosen or ready until after the Eurasia opens I wouldnt be surprised to see Maki stay on in the exhibit until new residence are there.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cypher
    Date:
    13 Nov 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    181.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1067px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7100
    Date / Time:
    2013:11:10 12:55:14
    Exposure Time:
    1/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 4000
    Focal Length:
    70 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).