Maguari

Risso's Dolphin at Point Lynas, Anglesey, 1st October 2022

Grampus griseus

Risso's Dolphin at Point Lynas, Anglesey, 1st October 2022
    • Maguari
      Grampus griseus

A first for me.
    • Fallax
      How good is Point Lynas for wildlife? Might make a rip this weekend depending on how easy it is to get there by public transport.
    • Maguari
      I love it. It's not a long walk once you're there - it's mostly a case of getting up to the headland (an easy walk if you're reasonably mobile, though there are some fairly tight kissing gates at the end) and then sit and watch. I've a better-than-50% rate of seeing Harbour Porpoise there, which is the main reason I go at least once or twice annually, and a nearly 100% rate of seeing Grey Seal, plus there's always a lot of 'classic' sea birds (gannets, razorbills, guillemots, shags etc) and the occasional slightly fancier species like Black Guillemot and Red-throated Diver. There were also two Lion's Mane Jellies just off the cliffs as well this time. There are also a good number of moorland birds (pipits, stonechats etc) and occasional migrants, and I've seen other generalist species like stoats there before as well. If you fancy a punt on the dolphins, you'd want to be there by about an hour before high tide and be prepared to stay a couple of hours - the hour before and after this are apparently the best times.

I've always driven there, but the bus certainly runs to Amlwch and would at least go within a reasonably sensible walking distance of Point Lynas.

What there isn't is a lot of walking about or exploring to do once you're there, so depending on how long you're wanting to spend on the cliff and how far you're travelling another stop would be worth factoring in - one that is certainly bus-able is Nant-y-Pandy/The Dingle in Llangefni, which is a very reliable Red Squirrel site. If you do go, also check the riverside path behind the Asda garage over the road - it'll only add 10 minutes and dipper are regular there.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    United Kingdom - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    2 Oct 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    412.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1708px
    Height:
    1143px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D80
    Date / Time:
    2022:10:01 13:58:27
    Exposure Time:
    10/40000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    450 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).