snowleopard

Small Animal Building - Mara Exhibit

Small Animal Building - Mara Exhibit
snowleopard, 24 Dec 2010
JigerofLemuria likes this.
    • snowleopard
      August 24th, 2010.
    • zoocentral
      @snowleopard Do you remember the birds that were exhibited with the mara? I know Patagonian conure, saffron finch, and rufous-collared sparrow were in there. What was the pigeon species? Were there others?
      snowleopard likes this.
    • snowleopard
      @zoocentral When I visited Utah's Hogle Zoo in 2010 I didn't type out a comprehensive species list and so I cannot answer your question. However, on my Snowleopard's 2012 Road Trip thread I revisited Hogle and here's the species list within the building at that time:

Small Animal Building Species List
      (the asterisks are for the species found in the walk-through aviary): A total of 78 species are inside the building.

Mammals (17 species): Wied’s marmoset, agouti, black-footed cat (two exhibits), sand cat (two exhibits), northern tree shrew, cape hyrax, African straw-coloured fruit bat, African crested porcupine, rock cavy, western spotted skunk, meerkat, bat-eared fox, kinkajou, golden lion tamarin, cotton-top tamarin, squirrel monkey and mara.

Reptiles/Amphibians (39 species): green iguana* (two exhibits), Aldabra tortoise*, leopard tortoise*, Siamese crocodile (two exhibits – adult and juvenile), European glass lizard, Mexican burrowing python, green tree python, axolotl, Taylor’s cantil, Great Basin gopher snake, dusky pygmy rattlesnake, Hopi rattlesnake, Utah mountain kingsnake, Arizona mountain kingsnake, California kingsnake, Madagascar tree boa, Puerto Rican boa, pancake tortoise, yellow blotched map turtle, spotted salamander, mangrove salt marsh snake, western toad, Sonoran desert toad, Oriental fire-bellied toad, cottonmouth, spotted turtle, Kenyan sand boa (two exhibits), Giant Solomon Island skink (two exhibits), gila monster, rubber boa, Mojave desert sidewinder, desert tortoise, radiated tortoise, chuckwalla (two exhibits), beaded lizard, green tree monitor, false water cobra, Chinese crocodile lizard and Indian star tortoise

Birds (19 species): lilac-breasted roller*, roseate spoonbill*, speckled mousebird*, pied imperial pigeon*, scarlet ibis*, radjah shelduck*, red jungle fowl*, rose-ringed parakeet*, black-crowned night heron*, American wigeon*, superb starling*, white-wing dove, gila woodpecker, cardinal, masked bobwhite, burrowing owl, saffron finch, rufous-collared sparrow and Patagonian conure.

Invertebrates (3 species): red-knee tarantula, emperor scorpion and giant Vietnamese centipede.
      zoocentral likes this.
    • zoocentral
      @snowleopard Thank you so much for this list! 2012 was an amazing time - collection wise - to visit the Small Animal Building. Since then, there hasn't been a focus on bringing in new species or replacing ones after they pass away. This is mostly due to the fact that this 1971 exhibit is planned for a demo/revamp. It will be interesting to see what they plan to do with this space in the upcoming Master Plan. I hope they keep the location dedicated to small animals especially as the exhibit currently holds 32% of the zoo's mammal collection, 77% of birds, and all of the zoo's reptiles, amphibians, and inverts.
      snowleopard likes this.
    • nczoofan
      @zoocentral Will some species move out into the new Utah section though? I know they have a building for smaller native species.
    • zoocentral
      @nczoofan Yes! There are some animal ambassadors in the SAB that will move to their new homes in Wild Utah including the yellow-bellied marmot and North American porcupine. The burrowing owls will move, especially since the two males are trained animal ambassadors. As for reptiles I have not heard any news of animals being moved from SAB. Most animals in the new
      Norma W. Matheson Education Animal Center will feature animal ambassadors from the ARC and Creekside.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Hogle Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    24 Dec 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: