Join our zoo community
cypher

Southern Hairy-Nosed Wombat - Hamlet

This shot was taken on Tuesday, one day before Hamlet was euthanized due to failing health. I?m glad to have gotten one last chance in seeing the oldest living wombat in the world. I just wish it was under better circumstances. As I mentioned in a different post, Hamlet was looking very unwell. He couldn?t walk long distances, as his right hind leg was not able to hold him up. He?d take a few steps before dropping down on his right hind leg, and dragging it around. It was sad to see, as it was clear he was struggling just to get around. Keepers had a hard time calling him to the off exhibit area, as he struggled to move around. What I didn?t mention in my earlier post is that while watching Hamlet, he laid down flat on the ground, while the Keeper was calling him to the back. He seemed like he was making his way to the back, but just couldn?t make. The Keeper came into the exhibit to check on him, and he was very unresponsive to her calls and touch. She petted him for a bit before leaving the exhibit and letting him get some much needed rest. I eventually left the Pavilion, hoping all would be okay with Hamlet. Sadly, he didn?t get better and was euthanized. The good thing in this is that Hamlet will continue to live on through his descendants, one of which is Matilba, his great-granddaughter. If we?re lucky, Matilba and Arthur will have offspring of their own, continuing Hamlet?s legacy.

Southern Hairy-Nosed Wombat - Hamlet
cypher, 7 Jul 2016
amur leopard and TheGerenuk like this.
    • cypher
      This shot was taken on Tuesday, one day before Hamlet was euthanized due to failing health. I’m glad to have gotten one last chance in seeing the oldest living wombat in the world. I just wish it was under better circumstances.

As I mentioned in a different post, Hamlet was looking very unwell. He couldn’t walk long distances, as his right hind leg was not able to hold him up. He’d take a few steps before dropping down on his right hind leg, and dragging it around. It was sad to see, as it was clear he was struggling just to get around. Keepers had a hard time calling him to the off exhibit area, as he struggled to move around.

What I didn’t mention in my earlier post is that while watching Hamlet, he laid down flat on the ground, while the Keeper was calling him to the back. He seemed like he was making his way to the back, but just couldn’t make. The Keeper came into the exhibit to check on him, and he was very unresponsive to her calls and touch. She petted him for a bit before leaving the exhibit and letting him get some much needed rest.

I eventually left the Pavilion, hoping all would be okay with Hamlet. Sadly, he didn’t get better and was euthanized. The good thing in this is that Hamlet will continue to live on through his descendants, one of which is Matilba, his great-granddaughter. If we’re lucky, Matilba and Arthur will have offspring of their own, continuing Hamlet’s legacy.
    • TZFan
      I'm really going to miss Hamlet but like you said if we are lucky Matilba and Arthur will continue his legacy. Wouldn't it be fantastic to find out Matilba has a joey and its a male they can name after his great great grandfather?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cypher
    Date:
    7 Jul 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    185.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1067px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D500
    Date / Time:
    2016:07:05 09:50:59
    Exposure Time:
    1/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1000
    Focal Length:
    280 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).