Join our zoo community
cypher

Southern Hairy-Nosed Wombat

Southern Hairy-Nosed Wombat resting in the Australasia Pavilion.

Southern Hairy-Nosed Wombat
cypher, 13 Nov 2013
Jonas likes this.
    • cypher
      Southern Hairy-Nosed Wombat resting in the Australasia Pavilion.
    • Blackduiker
      A nice sighting opportunity with these nocturnal cuties often curled into a ball during daylight zoo visits.
    • TZFan
      We have a young male, Arthur, who is young so it seems like hes more active than our 31 year old male Hamlet. Cant say I blame good old Hamlet. He's the oldest Southern Hairy Nosed Wombat in North America so if he wants to sleep all day and all night I say let him. He's earned it. Let Arthur thrill the crowds.

I dont know if you have already seen it, Blackduiker, but Arcticwolf posted a fantastic up close shot of Arthur a little while back. He's being a ham for the camera. You will probably enjoy that shot.
    • cypher
      Yeah, I was surprised to see this guy out. They're not usually out and about.
    • arcticwolf
      Every time I've been to the zoo this year I've seen the wombat walking around its exhibit. I always get tons of pictures of him but I've only put my best ones on zoochat. Also this year I've seen the echidna walking around its exhibit at least five times.
    • cypher
      Out of all the times I've been there I have yet to seen the echidna.
    • arcticwolf
      That's surprising. I think I've only been to the zoo a few times without seeing the echidna. Normally I can't get a good picture of it because it's moving around to quickly! The only Australasian mammal that I have trouble seeing are the brush tailed bettongs, which I haven't seen the past few times I was at the zoo.
    • cypher
      Huh. I've never seen the brush tailed bettongs either. I gotta pay attention next time I go.
    • TZFan
      I dont think I have ever successfully seen the echidna and Annie has been around since I was 1 so I've had countless opportunities.

I havent seen the bettongs either. But they are small and Im usually focused on the wombats or wallabies.
    • IanRRobinson
      I do wonder at the fact that it is apparently so hard to obtain this species from Australia. This is a species that can be culled in Australia!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cypher
    Date:
    13 Nov 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    245.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1067px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7100
    Date / Time:
    2013:11:10 11:51:23
    Exposure Time:
    1/125 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1000
    Focal Length:
    105 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).