Join our zoo community
devilfish

Spix's Saddle-back Tamarin

Spix's Saddle-back Tamarin
    • devilfish
      Photo taken on 19th July 2010
    • nicholas
      Does anyone know which species of saddle-back this is?
    • Al
      Yes it would be really interesting if anyone knew? :)
    • nicholas
      These are just guesses, but I think it's a Spix's, but it could also be a Geoffroy's. Other suggestions are welcome :).

devilfish, you wouldn't happen to have any more photos of this animal?
    • devilfish
      Based on ISIS listings, and some photos I'd seen, I initially thought it might be a Spix's but was not fully convinced. I guess it may just be a generic/hybrid listed on ISIS without subspecific status. Attached are a few other photos of the same animal - one also shows its cage-mate.
    • Maguari
      Just put one of my more nerdy Christmas presents to use (this: [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marmosets-Tamarins-Conservation-International-Pocket/dp/1934151203/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296940594&sr=8-1]Marmosets and Tamarins Conservation International Pocket Guide Series: Amazon.co.uk: A Rylands, RA Mittermeier, AF Coimbra-Filho, EW Heymann, Stephen D Nash: Books[/ame] - thanks to robmv for calling my attention to it!).

I'd agree with Spix's Saddleback (S. f. fuscicollis) going by the light-coloured head (although the fur looks a bit patchy, which might be confusing the issue).
    • Chlidonias
      ha funny, that's the book that I was going to be ordering next week! :D
    • Maguari
      It's not really a book as such, it's a fold-out chart, but it's superb, particularly given its low cover price. 61 different taxa in really nice clear images and all with range maps - and (nerdish joy) a ticklist in the back.

Many of the species listed I've never seen images of before - things like Aripuana Marmoset and Mottled-faced Tamarin. Big thumbs up from me.
    • nicholas
      Thanks for adding the photos devilfish. It does look most like a Spix's. And Maguri, that sounds like an exellent christmas present! Thanks for using it.
    • Maguari
      I'm very glad to have the chance to use it - normally I just gaze at it in wonder! :D
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Parque Zoológico Huachipa
    Uploaded By:
    devilfish
    Date:
    17 Oct 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: