Join our zoo community
demonmoth

Striped Skunk

Striped Skunk
demonmoth, 8 Jan 2010
    • Arizona Docent
      That is a great photo - very cute!

I can't believe that I do not have one single skunk photo in my entire animal photo collection. Especially since my home region of southern Arizona is one of the only places in the world where all four species of skunks naturally occur!
    • Maguari
      Four species? You need a few more than that, I'm afraid - Handbook of the Mammals of the World: Vol 1 (Carnivores) confirms there are four species of Hog-nosed Skunk (Conepatus) alone, plus the Hooded and Striped Skunks (Mephitis) and four species of Spotted Skunk (Spilogale). So ten in total.

(I'm being picky about the word 'species' here - counting the four basic 'types' of skunk - hog-nosed, spotted, striped and hooded - you are of course perfectly correct! :D )
    • demonmoth

thank you glad u like it
    • Ituri
      Love it! Taxonomic pedantry at its finest. Well played my friend.
    • demonmoth
      well we have all learnt something here today, kids

:rolleyes:
    • Ituri
      Although striped and hooded are in the same genus so they should probably be counted as the same 'type' of skunk.
    • Maguari
      I wasn't applying any taxomonic bias to the skunk forms when I said 'type' - just thinking if you're wandering around Arizona and Arizona Docent tells you he's seen a skunk, you would want to know if it was striped, hooded, hog-nosed or spotted. And this of course is the basis for AD's factoid about Arizona having all the skunk 'species'. :)

What's with the rolleyes, aren't we allowed to be educational? :D
    • demonmoth
      LOL sorry soem of its a bit too educational to me lol, but its nice to see it
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    demonmoth
    Date:
    8 Jan 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    178 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    641px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D80
    Date / Time:
    2009:06:07 12:08:38
    Exposure Time:
    10/600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    116 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).