Join our zoo community
Middle Man

Sumatran Rhinos at Sungai Dusun

These pictures were taken at Sungai Dusun in Malaysia by Steve Romo. He gave me permission to post some of his remarkable photos here on ZooChat. I hope you will find them interesting!

Sumatran Rhinos at Sungai Dusun
Middle Man, 17 Jul 2011
kermodei likes this.
    • Middle Man
      These pictures were taken at Sungai Dusun in Malaysia by Steve Romo. He gave me permission to post some of his remarkable photos here on ZooChat. I hope you will find them interesting!
    • Dallaspachyderm
      How many were there at this facility? And why did they all die simultaneously in 2003?
    • Saro
      I believe the total number held since 1991 was nine individuals and seven (2.5) died within a year until December 2003.

This is from the BBC Website: "All seven rhinoceroses kept at Sungai Dusun have died since the beginning of last year - five of them in the last three weeks.

Scientists are not certain what killed them but suspect a pneumonia-like bacterial infection." (2003)
      I am not sure if the true cause of death was ever found because several potential diseases were discussed at the time
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Sungai Dusun Rhinoceros Conservation Centre
    Uploaded By:
    Middle Man
    Date:
    17 Jul 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    54.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    720px
    Height:
    480px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).