Join our zoo community
Gigit

Tatty living dangerously, September 2019

Tatty living dangerously, September 2019
Gigit, 16 Sep 2019
SivatheriumGuy likes this.
    • Gigit
      The orangs were busy picking up beech mast from the ground and the water today. Six year old Tatty displayed a terrifyingly novel way of reaching for those furthest away from the bridge :eek: She did look a bit surprised when she tried pulling herself up again. We have often wondered what you'd do if an orang fell into the moat. By the time you'd found a keeper it would probably be too late.
    • FunkyGibbon
      Is there anything to suggest underwater ropes around the bridges? That's relatively common where zoos perceive there is a drowning risk.

For myself, I have always felt that if it wouldn't put me into contact with an adult male, I would probably have to go into the water if I saw an ape fall in. I once saw a crab-eating macaque plunge into a moat off a wobbly branch in Nanjing, and had a heart-stopping few seconds before I realised it was all a game...
    • Gigit
      I've never noticed any ropes. They used to keep a little boat between the orang and gorilla moats. I hope adrenaline would enable me to do something useful.
    • Pertinax
      Very dangerous...I have read/heard about too many drownings to be complacent about a sight like this. With such a large area of water as a moated barrier, I rather doubt it is safely netted underwater in all the areas they can reach, though perhaps I am wrong on that.
    • Gigit
      I'm pretty sure there's no netting. From photos taken when the moats were being butyl-lined, they are a rounded, broad U shape with the deepest part in the middle being 5-6 ft. This is where Tatty is on the bridge. I guess you could scramble down the bank, wade/swim to reach her, turn her upside down and shake her. I doubt whether Mali would give you time to do CPR.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Paignton Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Gigit
    Date:
    16 Sep 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    552.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1642px
    Height:
    1095px
    Aperture:
    f/5.0
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-FZ1000
    Date / Time:
    2019:09:16 12:33:17
    Exposure Time:
    10/2000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 125
    Focal Length:
    92.88 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).