Join our zoo community
vogelcommando

Thayeria boehlkei

Thayeria boehlkei
vogelcommando, 26 Aug 2016
    • vogelcommando
      Dec. 30 2015. Bubbels, Hoogerheide
    • gentle lemur
      This is one of penguin fishes. I think it's Thayeria boehlkei.

Alan
    • vogelcommando
      Thank you very much gentle lemur ! Peguin fish..... never heared of it !
    • Chlidonias
      also called hockey-stick fish apparently, although I've never seen one sold as that!

I used to have an old aquarium book written by one of the original UK fish importers, and apparently these got the name penguinfish because the secretary of their company exclaimed "oh they look like little penguins!" when they first came in - so that's what they sold them as and the name stuck.
    • gentle lemur
      I haven't come across that story before, but I guess that it's silly enough to be true. The only species that I've heard called a hockey-stick fish is Nannostomus eques.

Alan
    • Chlidonias
      here eques are always rocket pencils. Never heard them called hockey sticks.
    • vogelcommando
      Pencilfish and hockey sticks are both names I've heared before but as said Penguinfish was new to me but... nice and funny story !
    • gentle lemur
      It's only just struck me that the reasons they might remind someone of penguins are that they are basically black and white and that they usually swim with their bodies angled upwards, which is made more obvious by the slanting black stripe - but it's still an odd name.

Alan
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Netherlands - Other
    Uploaded By:
    vogelcommando
    Date:
    26 Aug 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count: