Join our zoo community
TeaLovingDave

The "Berlin Specimen" (Archaeopteryx siemensii ) at Museum f?r Na

One of the most famous and significant discoveries of all time, this specimen is still the most complete representative of the genus known, and was the third to be discovered after the ?Feather? and ?London Specimen? a decade previously.

The "Berlin Specimen" (Archaeopteryx siemensii ) at Museum f?r Na
TeaLovingDave, 9 Dec 2015
UngulateNerd92 and Hipporex like this.
    • TeaLovingDave
      One of the most famous and significant discoveries of all time, this specimen is still the most complete representative of the genus known, and was the third to be discovered after the “Feather” and “London Specimen” a decade previously.
    • gentle lemur
      If Berlin follow the same policy as the BMNH, this could well be a cast. I frequently looked lovingly at the cast in London, not realising that the original was thought too valuable to display. It was only put on show briefly to demonstrate that Fred Hoyle's suggestion that it was a forgery was totally bonkers - the real one has several large metallic dendrites which exactly match on the part and counterpart, so it has not been forged or manipulated in any way.

Alan
    • TeaLovingDave
      To my extreme satisfaction, since 2007 (when the museum renovation was completed) the original Berlin Specimen has been on-display at the Museum für Naturkunde, and not a cast :) in fact, as noted in my Berlin trip report thread, for a few months in 2011 the Berlin Specimen was actually joined on-display by the original Feather Specimen for a special exhibition. Sadly the latter fossil has since gone off-display once again.
    • gentle lemur
      Thank you for an interesting reply. Having seen those dendrites in the London specimen, the question sprang into my mind: but of course most fossils from Solnhofen do not have them.

Alan
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Museum für Naturkunde
    Uploaded By:
    TeaLovingDave
    Date:
    9 Dec 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    159 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S6800
    Date / Time:
    2014:04:09 10:17:05
    Exposure Time:
    10/140 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    7.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).