Join our zoo community
zoogiraffe

The indoor Flamingo Pool

The indoor Flamingo Pool
zoogiraffe, 14 Jul 2009
    • Jana
      Is this exhibit still inhabited by one lonely Chilean flamingo today or has it been rescued from there?
    • zoogiraffe
      I`m not sure but I`ve not heard of it leaving the collection so I would say its still here.
    • Jana
      Thank you for your answer. I really hope it will be moved to join a bigger group some day.
    • EvilKittie
      isnt this meant to be a seal sanctuary not a flamingo sanct?
    • tomzoo123
      Im ure when I last went here there were 3 or 4 flamingos. Has there ever been more than one here?
    • Maguari
      There were certainly two some years ago. I've visited two or three times over probably the last 15 years or so and never seen more than two.
    • toucanwalk
      During my life time I visited since being about 3 these were the first flamingos i saw,back when I was about 4 they had 2 but i think they had about 4 to begin with as in the guide book there is a photo of 3 chilean flamingos.I wrote to the zoo shortly after the flamingos mate died in 2004 asking if it could be sent to near-by twycross who i also worte to and they offerd it a home with their flamingos but the zoo said due to the flamingos age its about 44 i think it would be too stressful but they were trying hard to find it a mate - that clearly was un-successful the flamingo however did not seem depressed or nervous when i visited last year.
    • Jana
      The advised minimum flock size for well-beeing purpoises is 20 and 40 for breeding (by EAZA). I think that even a flock of around 15 flamingos can offer an acceptable life quality. But to keep a lone flamingo for 6 years now? The age of 44 is no excuse, the birds can get over 75 years old. There are dosens/maybe hunderts of flamingos older that this one in Europe and many are moved when their flock moves. Flamingos are nomadic, not teritorial (they only defend their nest during breeding) so that it should adapt well in a new place within a large flock. If its health state doesn´t exclude a trasport, I can´t find a singe reason why it´s still here. To sacrifice an another bird to serve as a mate for this lonely bird? Tsss... I would call it cruel. Could not RSPCA or other organisation press them to make a right decision?
    • toucanwalk
      I agree with what you say I would of been about 11 or 12 when i wrote to them wanting it be transfered and it really does sadden and anger me that he or she was not taken to twycross I recieved a letter from the zoo manager of twycross saying that they had been in touch with the staff at the zoo and offerd to rehome it with their flamingos despite this they clearly refused - they must see having a flamingo as a way of getting the public in - its the only reason i visit in all honesty to see how its doing.
      I would like to buy a large mirror or something for them to put up for him or her. I would like to know which collection would send them a small number of flamingos in the first place as i doubt they would have funds to catch them from the wild.As for the RSPCA i don't think much to them in all honesty I doubt they have flamingo wardens!,I might write to them again or maybe contact the experts at Slimbridge WWT may be a call from them would work - nice to meet another flamingo fan!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Skegness Natureland Seal Sanctuary
    Uploaded By:
    zoogiraffe
    Date:
    14 Jul 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    296.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/5.0
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix E510
    Date / Time:
    2008:05:10 14:34:22
    Exposure Time:
    10/1700 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).