Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

tiger exhibit remodel - Feb 2012

The exhibit is currently empty - their lone male was sent out for breeding. Before they get a new pair they are remodeling the exhibit. The ground used to be all cement, but they have torn that out to create a dirt bottom and have added plants. Hopefully it will grow in more before the new tigers arrive.

tiger exhibit remodel - Feb 2012
Arizona Docent, 18 Feb 2012
    • Arizona Docent
      The exhibit is currently empty - their lone male was sent out for breeding. Before they get a new pair they are remodeling the exhibit. The ground used to be all cement, but they have torn that out to create a dirt bottom and have added plants. Hopefully it will grow in more before the new tigers arrive.
    • Blackduiker
      Lack of plants and shade were my concern. Especially in the San Antonio summer heat. Also, is there a pool anywhere for them?
    • snowleopard
      What really needs to happen is for this old grotto to be filled in, expanded, and then glass viewing added so that visitors will have a much closer, more intimate portrayal of a wonderful species of cat and the tigers will have much more space. Detroit Zoo spent $1 million to overhaul their lion grotto and these days that is a relatively inexpensive "new" exhibit.
      Hipporex likes this.
    • Arizona Docent
      No pool as far as I can tell, although it looks like maybe the rocks on the far right could be a new stream?
    • @animalmapping
      @Arizona Docent if I would rate the exhibit, I would give it a 4 out of 10 which looks low but I’m very strict in zoo exhibits. We talk about animal welfare and zoos have to keep a good name. I do actually like the design but it lacks plants, hiding and enrichment space. It’s also small. Design I would give it a 5/10, space 3/10, originality 4/10, inspiring 4/10 the stone wall and sandy ground are great, I like the theme of the exhibit. But it isn’t tiger worthy.
    • Arizona Docent
      If I remember from my return visit a year or two after this, it was indeed more lushly planted. It looked much nicer than it does here.
    • Hipporex
      @snowleopard I agree. While I feel moats (wet or dry) are indeed an effective way of keeping animals contained, I also more strongly feel that it is always wasted space. Once they were neccesary but now, with more advanced techniques of containing animals, I find them not worth the cost (I.e. giving up valuable space).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    San Antonio Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    18 Feb 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    78.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    610px
    Height:
    311px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).